Another new old guy

New to Halifax Electric Flyers? Let us know a little about you.
datter

Another new old guy

Unread post by datter » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:45 am

Hey all,

I posted over on the Shearwater club forum the other day about returning to the hobby after a hiatus of about 25 years. Thought I would say hello here as well as I just came across this forum, though it seems I've been registered here since 2009. :P

Looking forward to coming out to see the field in the hopefully near future, and ramp up from there.

datter
(David)
David "datter" Titus
MAAC #46113
[url=http://www,davidtitus.com]davidtitus.com[/url]

retiredVTT

Re: Another new old guy

Unread post by retiredVTT » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:20 pm

Hi Dave,
Good to hear that your interest in RC is still active..!
Come out to the Shannon field any weekend morning when the weather cooperates. There is usually several members flying.
The club recently purchased a new Apprentice trainer, so you may be interested in that.

Nice to hear from you,

Bill F.
2016 President
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:11 pm

David,

You've come to the right place! We are a diverse and enthusiastic group of people who have a genuine "love" of the hobby and want to help others get set-up properly and with the best amount of success. This extends to flying and in sharing stories and support in the pit area at the top of the small hill.

Shearwater is also a great club - good people and field. They are especially suited to larger and faster aircraft - and those with gas engines. Our field is limited to electric only with flying weights of 6 lbs or less. So I guess that it depends on where your interests might lie. Try them both. We are mostly at Shannon Park on weekend mornings while Shearwater will typically be opening later in the spring.

Be sure to come by and introduce yourself!

Brian

datter

Unread post by datter » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:11 am

ahh ok I wasn't sure of the difference between the clubs. I guess electric only within city limits makes sense. I have no doubt I'll end up joining both clubs as time goes on as if my memory serves the last time I got into this I ended up with 5 or 6 planes on the go at once. I really like the idea of electric so that might be a good place to start, but I do plan to build a larger scale glow (or maybe gas) powered plane so I'll be all over. Plus slope soaring, god maybe helo's. HELP. :P

Where abouts in Shannon Park do you guys fly? Can you just drive in or is it all closed off? I've lived here my whole life and seen the area from the bridges of course but never been down there.
David "datter" Titus
MAAC #46113

Tom B T-28

Unread post by Tom B T-28 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:15 pm

We fly at Shannon Park down in behind the Shannon Park School, not directly behind the school ,but down closer to the water! You can access the area at any time and there is a road that goes all around the field that gives a couple of access points off of Windmill Rd. Lots of parking !
Tom

datter

Unread post by datter » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:17 pm

ok excellent, I will definitely stop by and say hello. Damn nice weather lately too, today anyway. :P
David "datter" Titus
MAAC #46113