New member interested in joining

New to Halifax Electric Flyers? Let us know a little about you.
Curtis C

New member interested in joining

Unread post by Curtis C » Thu May 17, 2018 7:04 pm

Hi Everyone,
I'm a seasoned flyer interested in joining to fly my 2 meter electric glider at the Shannon Field and my 600 size nitro helicopter and Great Planes Revolver 70 at the Porter Lake field.
I might be able to come out on Sunday if that's ok (preferably to the Porter Lake site?)

Looking forward to hearing from you

Curtis
MAAC # 53943

trevor

Re: New member interested in joining

Unread post by trevor » Fri May 18, 2018 7:27 am

I wouldent mind a trip to PLF I HAVE TO checkout the clubhouse anyway
what do you mean low rates and expo???

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Fri May 18, 2018 7:44 am

Hey Curtis!

Welcome to HEFA. While we certainly have access to multiple GREAT field locations, certainly the majority of members fly from Shannon Park in Dartmouth. Your glider would fit right in! But you are right that nitro and gas cannot be flown at Shannon Park.

I would certainly encourage you to drop in to SP to meet our members and to learn more about our club and our operations. We are normally at SP on weekend mornings - when it is not raining and when winds are not excessive, and schedules / other commitments typically pull us away near noon.

I would also encourage you to first get your MAAC membership, through maac.ca. This is the foundation for our club with safety rules, insurance, and interface with Transport Canada - and is required for participation in any of the local clubs.

See you soon!

Brian

Curtis C

Unread post by Curtis C » Fri May 18, 2018 12:33 pm

Thanks Brian and Trevor.

I'm all set with MAAC. Just renewed my membership for 3yrs last week.

I was hoping to go to the PL flield Sunday with my chopper but could meet at SP with my glider instead. The weather forecast is calling for rain though.

Sunday mornings and Thursday afternoons are usually my opportunites to fly.

Looking forward to meeting the group in the coming days and weeks.

Curtis

Curtis C

Unread post by Curtis C » Sun May 20, 2018 5:08 pm

Would I be able to join the club by emailing the club documents and providing the funds via email transfer to the treasurer?

Also, does providing an image of my maac wings suffice for permission to fly at the club? I have a Multiplex Heron 2 meter glider I wish to use at SP. I was thinking of going tomorrow around 4pm but not sure if anyone will be there...

Would the best protocol be to wait till next Saturday morning providing the weather is suitable for flying?

Looking forward to joining the club.

Curtis

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun May 20, 2018 6:41 pm

Curtis,

It's great that you want to join HEFA! The application and HEFA dues can be emailed to HalifaxElectricFlyers@outlook.com (this assumes that your MAAC is up to date - which it appears to be from your first post), but really we should meet prior to that if at all possible. We would like to review/clarify the field rules (most are part of the application form) with you in person, as well as the permitted flying areas and the need to avoid flying when the school kids are present on their outdoor school playground.

Additionally - and this likely isn't an issue given your hanger and your comment that you are a seasoned flyer - we would still like to make sure that you are a safe and capable flyer.

It is important to note that we lease the field at Shannon Park and that - currently - that lease expires June 30, 2018. We are seeking a renewal and are very optimistic that our proven safety record will support this process, along with the observation that there seem to be some delays with the revitalization process for the area. We are lucky to have other fields as well. But there is the unlikely chance that this renewal at SP could run into a few snags and we want to be transparent on that point.

I expect that there will be some members at Shannon Park tomorrow morning but then not likely again until next weekend.

Again, Curtis, welcome to the club! We have lots to offer and look forward to meeting with you!!

All the best,

Brian