Just blabbing off!

News related to anything RC
Scooterboy

Just blabbing off!

Unread post by Scooterboy » Mon May 15, 2023 11:24 am

OK, I've done the upstanding radio control flying citizen thing.
I've studied, paid, written and passed the RPAS test. Jumped through that hoop.
I've paid and registered some of my often flown models. Jumped through that hoop.

Went for a walk this weekend at Point Pleasant park to get rid of that great mother's day brunch.
We parked at the lower parking lot and noticed an ambulance waiting near the container pier heli port. My wife said they do patient transfers there.
We just walked past Black rock beach, 300' away from the heli port, then noticed a large drone flying over the beach at about 20' altitude.
I walked back, looked around and couldn't find the pilot. Then the drone disappeared.
We walked a little further and the walkway was cordoned off. It seems they were filming a travel show near the anchor monument.
The police were there just to manage the area. So I mentioned seeing the drone to the police officer. And she responded, "yeah, we saw that, it's not one of ours".
I commented back that a drone is not allowed to fly in that area and that there is an ambulance likely awaiting helicopter. That drone should not be there.
It didn't seem to be of any concern to anyone. Fortunately I did not notice a helicopter landing.

Hmmmm, really? Is it only us legit RC flyers who are concerned about following the rules?
Kevin Baker

JohnOSullivan

Re: Just blabbing off!

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Mon May 15, 2023 12:15 pm

You should have brought out your sub 250 gm DLG and I'm sure you would have been nabbed. It's only those drones with wings that are the cause of all the conflict.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

saboo

Unread post by saboo » Tue May 16, 2023 8:40 am

If it was a large drone, and they were filming a promotional film, then it is possible the drone was allowed.

If you have an advanced RPAS certificate, and if you have a blanket SFOC for a particular area, then it is possible that the flight was legal. To do that the drone probably would have to be one that is on the approved list with a type certificate.

There are specific rules that require an observer, a flight plan (likely filed with Nav Can), of course a check for relevant and current NOTAMs, along with weather forecast, and possibly monitor and interact with Air Traffic Control during the flight. This is often as complex as flying full size, except the pilot is on the ground.

The information on this is buried in the CARS and other regulations and guidelines. Not always easy to find. Sometimes clarification only comes when you apply for an SFOC and TC comes back with references to the appropriate regs and a request for further information. Long process. Sometimes 60-90 days.

It is a lot of time in preparation, study, experience, and planning. The whole process is aiming to operate a complex system, safely, in close proximity to or in coordination with, full size aviation. Not trivial. Not cheap. Not quick. But it is doable and is being done regularly.

To fly RPAS at Shearwater would require all of that under the current regime. Every pilot would have an Advanced Certificate, flight plan, NOTAMs, communicate with ATC and on and on. Doable but not practical or economic in time or money.
Nothing like the smell of electrons in the morning ;-)

Scooterboy

Unread post by Scooterboy » Wed May 17, 2023 4:17 pm

Jim;
The police officer minding the filming site, said it wasn't one of theirs when I inquired. So, I expect it was just someone with no knowledge of the rules, just flying around people, cars and possible Life Flight helicopters.
Granted, most people don't even know there are rules (not even the police it seems).
I'm sure that permission could be acquired and training etc; but I don't think that was the case.