Kite Fest

News related to anything RC
steve

Kite Fest

Unread post by steve » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:58 pm

I had spent most of the day at the citadel for the kite fest. Super hot day and amazed that you needed jackets or sweaters at Shannon?

Seen a couple Hefa guys there as well along with many other kite flyers. The hill and the garrison area was filled with a lot of great interesting kites.

The wind was low and picked up more as the afternoon rolled by. They tried the large round kite from Canada day at the commons, today also. No luck getting it airborne.

It was a great day for it. At one point we loosely and quickly counted well over 80 kites in the air with many more people all over.

Great event!

Steve
Steve

bdg

Re: Kite Fest

Unread post by bdg » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:24 pm

This sounds intriguing! Were you able to capture any photos that you are able to share?

Brian

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:38 pm

If you can access Saturday night's ATV news they had some nice shots. Apparently it was the second year for this event and it was much larger than the first one.
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

rhyneheimer

Unread post by rhyneheimer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:00 pm

i was shocked at the number of people there - i haven't heard any real estimates of the numbers of people, and i agree with Steve W's estimate of 80 kites at one time but perhaps up to 100, but the organizers (who were next to our Canada Day tent display on the Commons) did some serious media work and the hill was totally covered from the Commons hill entrance all the way past the Garrison grounds, and the sky was chock full of kites - i literally had to find a hole in the sky to put up my quad line stunter away from the prime zone, and fully used my (lack of) skill to dodge all the other kites in the sky wandering into my flight zone - saw many tangled kites in the sky, and actually, a woman wandering around entered our flight zone while i was flying Andrew C's parafoil with a 50 ft tube tail, and the tail severed her line and her kite was blown downwind which she recovered, all without my even noticing - my first kite fight!

a couple of wide angle shots, and a few of Andrew C with his parafoil and 50 ft tube streamer. He like streamers!
my Facebook Gallery - https://www.facebook.com/stephen.ryan.p ... 8481896968
IMG_2074.JPG
IMG_2088.JPG
IMG_2090.JPG
IMG_2092.JPG
IMG_2099.JPG
Steve Ryan -
HEFA/MAAC pilot, slope soaring fanatic, electric enthusiast -
I am not a drone

rhyneheimer

Unread post by rhyneheimer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:14 pm

thx, Bill - looks like this is the ATV/CTV news piece -
https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/second-annu ... -1.4004212
Steve Ryan -
I am not a drone

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:19 am

Great photos and good coverage from the news! Thanks for sharing!

rhyneheimer

Unread post by rhyneheimer » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:14 pm

complete mid-afternoon kite fest coverage by my friend Tom aka Simon aka Imbrex aka Exeter aka willie nelson -
https://youtu.be/kR_xBj_Qjjo
Steve Ryan -
I am not a drone