AVON RC Flyers fun fly - SUNDAY July 24th, 2016

News related to anything RC
retiredVTT

AVON RC Flyers fun fly - SUNDAY July 24th, 2016

Unread post by retiredVTT » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:52 pm

PLEASE NOTE - DATE CHANGED TO SUNDAY, JULY 24th. 9AM

Avon RC Flyers annual fun fly is this Saturday July 23rd from 9am to 4pm.

One of the highlights at this event will be a contest involving trying to hit a moving aircraft with a paint ball gun...!
A noon BBQ will take place,
Entry fee is $10.00

The field is located behind the "Daniels U-pick" site in Windsor, NS.
You take Hwy 101 and take the first Windsor exit which is clearly marked to go to "MARTOCK" ski hill",
Turn LEFT at the exit ramp and proceed toward Windsor, watch for a LEFT turn onto Rte 14, to go to MARTOCK,
Once on Rte 14, you proceed several kms watching for the large sign DANIELS U-PICK, where you turn right and proceed to the Avon field.

The drive takes about 40 minutes from Bedford, along excellent roads.

I encourage HEFA members to try and take in this event, so you will know what this field has to offer.
Since we are losing our Shannon field on September 30th, it is important that we know about the alternative sites that are available to us through our annual renewal with MAAC.
By going to these alternative sites, as we did with our trip to the ASRCM field a few weeks ago, we will hopefully have our eyes opened to what other field sites are out there.

At this time I know of SIX members who will be going this Saturday, hope to add another six over the next few days.

Here is a picture of the field, and a video taken at the field on July 13th. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cd7zf7aCaM

Bill
Attachments
AVON RC FieldOrientation.jpg
Last edited by retiredVTT on Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

saboo

Re: AVON RC Flyers fun fly - July 23rd, 2016

Unread post by saboo » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:54 pm

This event is described as an Air Show/Demo in the MAAC magazine and on the Avon RC Flyers Web Site. No mention of open flying by others.

Does that mean only select flyers will be permitted to put on Demo flights? All others can watch? The event in August is described as a 2 day Fun Fly for Helicopters and FPV Racing. No mention of open flying by those with fixed wing planes.

Confusing to say the least. I have asked Avon by email to clarify. Have not heard back yet.

Later : -

Unfortunately the email address on the Avon RC Flyers Web site comes back as " Diagnostic code: smtp;550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable"

Which means the email address given in the forums and on their contact page does not work. :-(

Maybe next year.
Nothing like the smell of electrons in the morning ;-)

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:10 pm

Hi Jim,
I have been in contact with Avon members and it is a fun fly for all who register along with some games as well as a BBQ. This is similar to what other Maritime Clubs have.

It is unfortunate that the web site seems to be defunct or words to that effect. I tried to Register on their site two days ago and I'm still waiting on their email approval which I need before I can post on their threads. So this is one area that needs to be improved in my opinion.

We have some HEFA members who are Avon members as well so I'll be checking with them to see which day this weekend they hold their event. I'm thinking it will likely be Saturday unless there is a deluge of rain coming in the morning. Right now they are forecasting afternoon showers around 2 to 4 pm.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:54 pm

UPDATE at 6pm today, (FRIDAY) THE AVON FUN FLY DATE HAS BEEN CHANGED TO SUNDAY, JULY 24th, due to weather..!

We are at NINE members of HEFA planning on taking in the Avon Fun Fly at the moment, ....I will drop by the A&W Bedford at 8am if anyone wants to follow along to the field. I'll be taking my large (for me) Cub.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Re: AVON RC Flyers fun fly - SUNDAY July 24th, 2016

Unread post by retiredVTT » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:25 pm

Here is the OFFICIAL POST from the Admin at AVON...it was posted on their site at 5:37pm today.
Bill

Hi All:

I’ve looked at the various weather forecasts and weather radar for Saturday and Sunday. Wunderground, intellicast, etc and for Saturday there is a 80% chance for heavy rain at around 130pm. Sunday looks much better with fairly low winds.

Therefore, The Avon RC Flyers Fun Fly / Air show will be held on Sunday the 24th. Flying begins at 9:00am. There is lots of food, prizes and events. Come on out for a great time!!

Sandy: Please post on the Shearwater, New Glasgow and ASRCM Club Web Sites.

Bruce
Last edited by retiredVTT on Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:00 pm

You would think that they might actually post something on their website - you know, to let other people know the status of their event....just sayin'....

I was planning to attend, but given their lack of information flow, they make it rather difficult to plan one's weekend.

Too bad, as I very much enjoyed their event in the past.

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:27 pm

Here is a teaser video, shot by Al Eastman, of the 2013 Avon FF..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei9SmTxpz84

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

saboo

Unread post by saboo » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:17 pm

CF AV8OR is correct about the website. The forum seems to not change the last posting date correctly. So the subject 'Avon Club Events -2016' shows a last post date of April 1st 2014. Instead of making a new post, it seems someone just edits the 2+ year old post and it continues to show the original date, not the most recent edit date. So a quick look at the events item would lead you to believe that no change has been made in 2 years. Very confusing.

But now we all know the event did not take place today.

Hopefully Sunday's weather will be perfect.
Nothing like the smell of electrons in the morning ;-)

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:35 pm

Yes, here's hoping they have great weather for their event tomorrow.

Wish I could do both, but unfortunately, I won't be able to attend due to a conflict with my other obligation.

Cheers,
Vic

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:16 pm

Excellent weather prevailed for the 2016 Avon Fun Fly and 39 flyers registered for the day long flying, competition, and BBQ.

Some of the planes attending are shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F6s6on ... e=youtu.be

Of the 39 flyers, the Hfx area was well represented with a dozen members; TWO turbine models put on a great show.

As well Colin Bell demonstrated his prowess in the Heli department, as shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIu0dlL ... e=youtu.be
(Video shot by Marc C of SRCF)

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708