TRANSPORT CANADA SLEDGEHAMMER

News related to anything RC
saboo

TRANSPORT CANADA SLEDGEHAMMER

Unread post by saboo » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:37 pm

Today Marc Garneau unleashed his latest attack on Model Aviation.

I spent a while downloading and reading documents related to the new rules.

The bottom line is that if you fly a model over 250g you will have to study, take an exam, and pass, before you are legally entitled to fly model aircraft.

Each aircraft has to be registered. A registration number has to be applied to the aircraft.

The knowledge required is just about as much as that required to fly a full sized aircraft. The creators of the rules have clearly demonstrated several things.

1) They have little knowledge of the current state of model aircraft.
2) The have little or no understanding of how and where people fly model aircraft.
3) The rules are modelled after those of full size aviation.

To help understand the impact I have attached several documents taken from the Transport Canada website this morning. It seems the documents are too large to upload to the site.

I will try to post the links instead.

This appears to be the outline of the knowledge required for the 2 classes of operator. A 42 page missive.
https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviati ... DITION.pdf

Aeronautical Information Manual
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... u-3092.htm
Only 53 megabytes. A light read he says sarcastically.

Canadian Aviation Regulations. Section 920 or so applies to Model Aviation. Information throughout the rest is/may be required. Download the PDF. A 6 megabyte file.
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/reg ... index.html

VFR phraseology
https://www.navcanada.ca/EN/media/Publi ... eology.pdf

Canada Flight Supplements. Lists Airfields, aerodromes, airports, heliports, Control towers, Met office etc. Subscribe or pay. Goes out of date every 58 days.
http://products.navcanada.ca/shop-elect ... ment-eCFS/

We may have to form study groups or have classroom sessions to prepare for the online exam. It is a very large amount of material to cover.
Just sourcing and organizing the material required is a big task. Getting it in to a format for use as a teaching tool is not trivial.

I feel quite sure that Transport Canada has deliberately done this to dissuade persons from even applying to write the exam.

The exam consists of 35 question that has a 1-1/2 hours time limit.

THERE DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE AN EXEMPTION FOR MAAC MEMBERS.

It would be helpful if you read these documents and then forward your comments to the Minister, the local MAAC representative, and the MAAC contact for legislative and regulatory matters.
Attachments
TP-15263E-2ND-EDITION.pdf
This is the 42 page document of knowledge requirements. I am not kidding. 42 Pages of subject matters that one may have to know.
It is not the material that you can study. It is an outline of what you need to know.
(1.26 MiB) Downloaded 74 times
Nothing like the smell of electrons in the morning ;-)

JohnOSullivan

Re: TRANSPORT CANADA SLEDGEHAMMER

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:14 pm

What a bunch of daddycowskaka.
To apply such horrendous requirements on the average model flier is absolutely ridiculous. Model aircraft have been flown safely for over a century without such draconian legislation.

I will continue to fly my models as I always have and refuse to go through the meatgrinder of the government inquisition.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

MarkL

Unread post by MarkL » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:35 pm

Per the CG2:
http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2019/ ... 1-eng.html

"While Part IX of the CARs applies to all RPAS, members of the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) operating at MAAC fields and MAAC sanctioned events will be issued an exemption to certain provisions of the CARs. Under the Act, footnote 8 the Minister has the authority to issue exemptions to the CARs; the exemption will be issued to MAAC before the end of the coming into force of the Regulations."

MarkL

Unread post by MarkL » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:36 pm

As to the actual exam, been reports of people doing the advanced in 15mins. It's not that hard apparently. And you can redo it if you fail, no limits beyond $10 per attempt.

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:35 pm

Looks like TC isn't going to make it easy.

Saw this FAQ on http://coastaldrone.co/blog/new-drone-r ... lHsFdGPrtw.

The question bank for the tests is large and growing. While cases of rapid completion don’t specifically get flagged in the system, TC does look at pass rates and time-to-completion trends and can change the questions and even the frequency with which they appear.

So if lots of people answer questions correctly or finish the test too quickly they'll swap in harder questions.

I was expecting the current regulations to get a tweak, but after reading the new ones TC has gone way overboard. It looks like I'm getting my small plane pilots license. Why do I need to know about pitot tubes and icing dangers? Even with MAAC exemptions I'll still have to take the test and register my planes. I've only got a few planes, but it's still going to be $100 for registration and hopefully only one attempt at the exam. I hate tests and studying even more.

From the few people I've seen say they've passed they also say it was difficult.

Guess we'll have to get a study group together.
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:55 pm

I don't quite understand why members are getting their "tighty-whiteys in a knot" concerning the TC notice that came out this week, because one day after that notice, all MAAC members should have received the following email from the MAAC head honcho (president)..!

To all MAAC Members,
Re: Transport Canada Gazette II news release of January 10, 2019
We would like to advise you that the anticipated new regulations for Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (RPAS ) have now been published. However, it should be clearly understood that nothing has changed for MAAC members and even though the regulations have now been published, they do not take effect until 1st June 2019. Until that date the Interim Order Respecting the use of Model Aircraft remains in effect, and as this order does not apply to MAAC operations, MAAC members can continue to operate as we always have.
Once the new regulations do come into effect, they will apply to all aircraft without a pilot onboard, whether for recreational or non-recreational purposes. However, be assured that MAAC continues to working with Transport Canada to ensure your current privileges are protected. As we advised you in the last email update, MAAC is working with Transport Canada on an exemption from the new regulations. With this exemption, once the new regulations do come into effect, MAAC members will enjoy the same freedoms they always have. It is expected that the MAAC exemption will be approved well before the new regulations come into effect on 1st June 2019. In the meantime please see the attached letter from Transport Canada, Letter – AARV – MAAC 2019 – 01-09 showing their commitment to these ongoing efforts and the preservation of our privileges.
MAAC leadership continues to work for its members and to ensure that we can all enjoy our passion of operating model aircraft. We will provide additional updates, once we have secured the exemption. Until then, please let me repeat that nothing has changed for MAAC members and you can continue to operate as you always have.
On behalf of the MAAC transport Canada Advisory Group
Peter Schaffer
President - MAAC
Last edited by retiredVTT on Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:41 pm

Just venting and yes, I saw that, but it is still very vague. Exempt from all the CAR, certificate, and registration or just what we have now? Have to wait and see I guess.
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:32 am

..Ok, one more try at relieving any fears; In the above mentioned email, I had underlined the good news from Mr President, but in case that was missed, I now have taken the liberty of putting his words in BOLD face..!

The next move might be to have bumper stickers made..!
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

MarkL

Unread post by MarkL » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:02 am

And the regulations under a Basic permit are far more flexible than they were under the Interim Order. You can literally fly over traffic and buildings now. 100' from freestanding people is about it, and outside controlled airspace. And as noted a MAAC exemption is expected.

As for passing the exam, seems to be a pile of idiots getting through without issue, many of which just googled the answers and don't even understand the basic laws or info on RC at all.

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:35 pm

Hey Bruce...! Part of the advantage of being a member of MAAC certainly lies in the executive coordination with TC. Certainly there are limitations and overall requirements, but as long as we are flying at an approved site, have a valid MAAC membership, have been approved to fly by the club, and are following MAAC requirements (identification on plane, MAAC safety rules) then it should be "business as usual". Certainly this all changes when you consider flying outside of these boundaries....!

Mark - thanks for the insight.

Hope to see you and Adam at SP soon... when this weather breaks!

Brian