Training request

This forum is for new pilots and instructors to help coordinate pilot training.
the-mailman

Training request

Unread post by the-mailman » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:46 pm

I haven't seen much discussion this year about training, but now that the weather is improving and the daylight lasting longer in the evening I’d like to sign up for flying lessons for myself and my son.

I don’t know anyone very well yet and would like if an instructor could contact me so we can work together to begin the fun?

Thanks,
Bruce
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

bdg

Re: Training request

Unread post by bdg » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:08 am

Certainly!!! Come to Shannon Park tomorrow or Sunday (Sunday is looking the most favourable for winds) and we will get you up on the club trainer. In between flights, I would encourage you to reconnect with our members in the "pit" area and you will learn an equal amount there as well.

I will switch out the floats for wheels on our Apprentice (the snow is done for the year, right?) and it will be ready for tomorrow.

How old is your son?

It is an addictive hobby that you can continue to enjoy year-round and our members are second to none!

Brian

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:12 am

HI Brian, that will be perfect. My son is 13 and we'll definitely drop by.
bdg wrote:Certainly!!! Come to Shannon Park tomorrow or Sunday (Sunday is looking the most favourable for winds) and we will get you up on the club trainer. In between flights, I would encourage you to reconnect with our members in the "pit" area and you will learn an equal amount there as well.

I will switch out the floats for wheels on our Apprentice (the snow is done for the year, right?) and it will be ready for tomorrow.

How old is your son?

It is an addictive hobby that you can continue to enjoy year-round and our members are second to none!

Brian

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:30 am

I was at the field today for about an hour (alone as everyone else was smarter than me!) but it was WINDY! Too windy for a lightweight foam plane and definitely too windy for training. Tomorrow is looking better.

The upcoming warmer weather can't come soon enough!

Brian

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:39 pm

That's what it looked like from here too. Hopefully tomorrow. What time? 8:30 OK?

Bruce
bdg wrote:I was at the field today for about an hour (alone as everyone else was smarter than me!) but it was WINDY! Too windy for a lightweight foam plane and definitely too windy for training. Tomorrow is looking better.

The upcoming warmer weather can't come soon enough!

Brian

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:15 pm

Some folks are at the field close to sun-up (say 7:30am) but I tend to be there 9:00ish.

Winds are looking absolutely amazing for tomorrow!

Brian

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:07 pm

Well Brian was right there were lots of flyers there before I arrived and looking at how the weather changed after lunch maybe I arrived too early too. It was cold but with Brian's help I got one flight in and my son got in a few minutes before the cold got too much for him. My first flight in over 30 years, terrifying, exciting, and lots of fun if it can be all of those things at once. Definitely be back for more. Thanks so much for the help today Brian. Look forward to flying and learning more. Now off to get registered.

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:27 pm

You did great - obviously the muscle memory is still there! - and your son improved immensely during his flight as well.

Looking forward to seeing you at the field again!

Brian

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:02 pm

Saturday morning looks like it might be suitable for flying, but with the hobby show will anyone be there with a trainer? Adam and I would like to continue our lessons.

Brian?

Thanks,
Bruce

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:19 pm

Hey Bruce!

Both Saturday and Sunday mornings look iffy... but be know that the weather is always subject to revision even at the last minute!

Saturday - Light winds; temperatures ~4 deg C; possibility of a shower.
Sunday - Higher winds; colder temperatures; possibility of a shower or even snow.

At this time, I am hopeful to make it to the field with the trainer, at least for part of the morning. But this will be re-evaluated tomorrow and even again in the morning.

Let's see what conditions we encounter!

Brian