Reminders About New Pilot Training

This forum is for new pilots and instructors to help coordinate pilot training.
Curtis

Re: Reminders About New Pilot Training

Unread post by Curtis » Sun May 03, 2015 9:03 pm

Many thanks to Brian today for spending time with William and getting some fly time. William enjoyed it! After some time away from the hobby it was really nice to see some of the faces that got me into the hobby a few years back.

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun May 03, 2015 9:18 pm

Curtis,

William did great! A few great flights even with a success landing in the mix - always the toughest part. The Apprentice is certainly different than your Delta Ray - a little more powerful and more responsive to user inputs. I guess that can be a fun part of the hobby too - the variety between planes.

Hope to see you both again!

Brian

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:28 pm

We have been slightly overwhelmed with new members requiring training, and will be putting a second Training setup into action right away.

To assist us in getting new members the training they require, help us out by using this Forum to advise us when you will be coming to the field for instruction and we will attempt to have the required training gear in place. Some of you have been doing this and it seems to work well.

It's a good problem for a Club to have, we want to increase our membership. We just have to work through the situation so that we are accommodating the new flyers.

Bill F.
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:35 pm

Just a few quick updates about our training....

First, we are still trying to support training efforts even through the winter season. The field is a bit of a mess at this moment... lots of footprints from the snow that have frozen over that have a real tendency to pull in a plane... especially if the plane only has skis as compared to floats. This certainly makes landing more difficult for everyone - but especially for new pilots. We are expecting some rain and warmer temperatures late tomorrow which should (hopefully) actually improve the field conditions.

Secondly, we have another club trainer, as per membership approval at our AGM. The club purchased an E-Flite Apprentice S15E which is absolutely fantastic for learning. I've just transferred my floats from my Apprentice (it needed a few fix-ups from a "hard" landing a few weeks ago which have now been completed today) to the club trainer. So it should be ready to go!

Lastly, a good simulator will help tremendously with your training. This is highly recommended to help learn orientation, landing techniques, etc. There are a few "freebies" out there but the best ones are RealFlight (available from Maritime Hobbies) and Phoenix (available from Mighty Small Cars). I have Phoenix and it is great and I would highly recommend it.

As always, lighter winds are preferred.

Dress warmly and hopefully we will see you at the field!!

Brian

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:39 pm

Now that temperatures are on the + side of the thermometer, we want to remind potential new members / students to let us know in advance if you might want to participate in an introductory flight at Shannon Park... otherwise we might not have the trainer with us.

Our Apprentice is ready for flight and we've purchased a new battery which will support more than 10 minutes of flight.

Stop by - see what we're about and meet our enthusiastic members! You'll be hooked!

Brian