Reminders About New Pilot Training

This forum is for new pilots and instructors to help coordinate pilot training.
bdg

Reminders About New Pilot Training

Unread post by bdg » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:56 pm

It seems that this part of the forum is not getting used quite as much as it could be. Rick's posting from 2011 - at the top of this topic - is still pretty valid. I am hoping that a renewed posting will help to revive this part of our forum.

We offer a collaborative group of people who share a common interest in the hobby and in promoting this to new people from a safe and enjoyable perspective. We are a MAAC (http://www.maac.ca) approved field and members participate under the MAAC umbrella for safety, insurance, interfacing with Transport Canada, etc. Our Shannon Park field is limited to electric aircraft with a maximum weight of 6 lbs. We have diverse interests - from warbirds to powered gliders to helicopters and multi-rotors. Some members prefer to make their own aircraft whereas others prefer to purchase outright. There has also been some interest in sloping at the beach and in combat with cutting of streamers. There really is something for everyone!

We'll offer a few training flights to new potential members so that you can get a feel for the hobby before making a purchase / commitment.
  • We have a club trainer (Super Cub) and I have been using one of my personal planes (E-Flite Apprentice S 15e with SAFE technology) to help make that first attempt at the controls a positive experience. We are able to buddy box for the best possible experience.
  • Light winds are best and these are typically in the early mornings.
  • We are typically at Shannon Park on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Arrival times certainly vary by person and with conditions (sometimes as early as sunup for some keeners!), but typical arrivals can be 8am to 9am if the weather is nice. The majority of the group depart by noon.
While a "drop-in" approach can work, it is often best to plan ahead and to make sure that a trainer will be at the field. Our forum provides the best opportunity for this communication.

Looking forward to seeing you at the field! You'll be "hooked" once you try it!

Brian

chodgkinson

Re: Reminders About New Pilot Training

Unread post by chodgkinson » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:26 pm

Hi Brian,

I'm thinking about getting into this hobby but before I commit to anything I'd like to try a couple of training flights. In order to try this out do I have to be registered with maac?

Thanks,
Chris

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:24 pm

Chris,

Thank you for your post and interest in HEFA! It's a great club and provides a supportive and learning environment for all skill levels.

My understanding is that under MAAC rules, we are permitted to offer a few introductory flights through a buddy box system. As previously suggested, this configuration places the master radio in the hands of the "trainer" and the slave radio in the hands of the "student". The slave radio is permitted control only when the master radio is permitted this from the "trainer". This minimizes the risk of injury / accident at the field.

We understand the commitment and associated costs of getting into the hobby. There is no "payback" in buying lots of gear and then realizing that the hobby is just not for you. The introductory flights are meant to help you make an informed decision.

While ~3 introductory flights are certainly a good start before MAAC and club memberships are required, we will continue to offer a reasonable level of student training following you joining of MAAC and a club. The objective (of course) is for you to become proficient at flying solo while under the umbrella of MAAC and of our established safety procedures.

I would really encourage you to stop by and to meet with our members. The club is certainly about flying but it is also about the social, learning and supportive aspects of the larger team that you will better understand after you stop by the field.

Snow is off the field. Best to post your potential intentions to participate so that we are prepared and are coordinating times (some members are at the field very early; others - especially when it is colder - arrive a little later at maybe 8:30 or 9:00am or even later.). Also - low winds (<10 km/hr) are preferred for learning.

I hope that this helps!

Brian

chodgkinson

Unread post by chodgkinson » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:07 pm

Great. Thanks for the info Brian. I'll let you know before I drop by.

Chris

RonStuart

Unread post by RonStuart » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:37 pm

Hi Brian:

Glad to hear the snow is off the field. My Apprentice is back together again and I would like to get on with becoming a pilot. Saturday mornings are best for me. What are your temperature parameters for training? Forecast for Saturday is presently 3 deg. Is that a little cool? Looking forward to working with you.

Ron
Ron Stuart
HEFA 116
MAAC 87976
E-Flite Piper Cherokee, E-flite DHC-2 Beaver
UMX Timber, Eagle 2, HOB Harvard

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:52 pm

Ron,

Great to see you checking in! Conditions this weekend are looking pretty great! I am currently planning to be at the field for 8:00am to 8:30am.... but always subject to change a little. Depending on the conditions, fingers can get a little numb. I'd recommend a pair of gloves (with the removable fingers, so that you have maintained dexterity) or perhaps a transmitter bag as they work wonders in the cold but can make access to the switches a little cumbersome.

I recall that you are very close with your skills. We were buddy boxed last year a few times and you have been up with Marc as well at SW.

I'll have my Apprentice - so you should be comfortable with it! Or we can fly yours. I just need to remember to bring along the wing this time... I had forgotten it last weekend in my garage and only brought the fuselage.

Looking forward to seeing you again.

Brian

yorcram

Unread post by yorcram » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:43 am

I am on-call for work but if not called out I plan on being out first thing on Saturday and can lend a hand.

marc
Plane Crazey :D

RonStuart

Unread post by RonStuart » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:27 pm

Brian, thanks for your response. I should be there around 9:00AM. Will bring my Apprentice and perhaps between the two of us we shall have a complete aircraft! :) . I shall see about detachable-finger gloves this evening.
Ron
Ron Stuart
HEFA 116
MAAC 87976

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:34 pm

Ron - you did great today. Almost an hour of total flight time this morning and great conditions. Flight in mode 0 is proven. Lots of good approaches and alignment from both sides of the field too. Way to go!

Brian

RonStuart

Unread post by RonStuart » Fri May 01, 2015 3:41 pm

Hoping to be at Shannon Saturday morning.
Ron Stuart
HEFA 116
MAAC 87976