Airborne coverage of Shannon Park houses

A forum dedicated to multicopters since there is quite a a bit of interest among HEFA members.
JohnOSullivan

Airborne coverage of Shannon Park houses

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:43 am

I found this one on the CBC site.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot ... -1.3220818
Note the reference to our field as a designated Drone flying area. Maybe adds a bit of respectability.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

retiredVTT

Re: Airborne coverage of Shannon Park houses

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:05 pm

Wow...that was fascinating...!

Here is the youtube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuhXIWlmFPA

The "music" is so appropriate ...methodic and eerie ..I count at least fifty buildings to come down.

The message at 9:53 is so true.

..and there's the HEFA field at the 10:00 minute mark, with our two field signs mounted to the light poles.

Great video job, thanks for posting John.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:33 pm

Here is the April 2014 link that tells about Canada Lands purchasing the Shannon lands for $4 million and dividing it into three parcels.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot ... -1.2626083

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

MarkL

Unread post by MarkL » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:35 pm

I wonder if that flight was done legally with permission to fly in there? When it was DND my understanding was it was pretty much off limits. Always a tempting place to fly that most avoided.

And the way that is written "The area is also now a designated space for flying drones." sounds like the area with the buildings shown in the video is a free space to fly drones not the HEFA field.
Last edited by MarkL on Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve

Unread post by steve » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:58 pm

........as someone who lived in Shannon many many years ago, I truly enjoyed the video. It has been a very long time since I was able to see the streets and buildings behind the fences that I have some great memories of. I might have chosen some better music. It wasnt the site of a horrible or dark incident like the soundtrack suggests but for those who never had the chance to experience life there, and can only see it how it is now, I guess the eerie music seems to fit with the buildings and uncut growth everywhere. In its day though, it was well kept and a very busy spot with lots to do. Surprisingly, the area we fly at now , in the late 70's, was the spot for launching our rockets and cutting our fingers on the cox airplanes....go figure?

Crisp and crystal clear video....awesome!

Steve
Steve