Hex vs, Quad

A forum dedicated to multicopters since there is quite a a bit of interest among HEFA members.
bdg

Hex vs, Quad

Unread post by bdg » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:44 am

I have been venturing into the world of multicopters for a while now. I have experienced the loss of a motor (bullet connector which came apart) and the immediate crash of a quad. One of my main reasons for considering changing a F450 Quad to a F550 Hex related to the extra redundancy afforded by the additional motors / props.

Well, that was tested yesterday when one of my props completely broke apart in mid-air. I saw the two pieces of the prop leave the UAV from a very gentle hover at roughly 6'-8' in height and a distance of maybe 30' in front of me. I also just noticed the UAV shift in pitch for a very brief moment and immediately recover. No spiraling; no adverse problems at all. I gently brought the multicopter back to the ground and only then noticed the gravity of the break... both blades broke right at the hub.

To say that I am impressed with the DJI hardware and their programming for a lost prop would be an understatement. The many hours we might have successfully piloting a vessel can be "thrown in the air" when a critical system component fails. On a plane (as we know), this is most typically the elevator; on a multicopter it has to be a motor/prop.

That extra redundancy of the hex really shines! :D

Brian

RocketManRC

Re: Hex vs, Quad

Unread post by RocketManRC » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:51 pm

That's very interesting Brian. I have tried many different controllers over the past few years and now trying out the NAZA with an oldy but goody quad. As you say, very impressive.
Rick MacDonald
May you live in interesting times!