HobbyKing Quadcopter Controller

A forum dedicated to multicopters since there is quite a a bit of interest among HEFA members.
RocketManRC

HobbyKing Quadcopter Controller

Unread post by RocketManRC » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:43 pm

It had to happen!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=17537

I like the version that they chose to manufacture (KKmulticopter). It doesn't need a computer to set it up, the performance is good and the price is perfect! Actually it is unbelievable. You can now build a nice little aerobatic quad for less than $100 and not have to be an expert with a soldering iron. 8-)

This one is for quads only by the way but it can be reprogrammed for other configurations. Here is a link to the KKmulticopter website:

http://kkmulticopter.com/

Of course I put one on back order so I can test it.

Rick
Rick MacDonald
May you live in interesting times!

RocketManRC

Re: HobbyKing Quadcopter Controller

Unread post by RocketManRC » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:41 pm

I finally received this yesterday. There have been lots of positive reviews on the HK website and you sure can't beat the price!

I am going to replace the MultiWii controller in my small quad (QCat) for testing. Also Chris has built a quad using the HK wooden frame and has one of these controllers as well so we will give that a try.

I will report back!
Rick MacDonald

waxman

Unread post by waxman » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:48 am

Well, it finally flies. After tips from Rick (thank you), and actually swapping what now appears to be a bad controller, and many crashes and repairs I finally got the HK quad to fly. This was shot at Hants East Rural High on Tuesday, March 6.

http://youtu.be/kLhbJEqOT3Q

John

MarkL

Unread post by MarkL » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:16 pm

Congrats on getting it flying.

waxman

Unread post by waxman » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:34 pm

Thanks Mark, of course I'll now have to move up to more advanced controllers ;-)
John Liddard

MarkL

Unread post by MarkL » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:37 pm

Certainly lots of controller options, and more coming all the time it seems but the KK is a good simple board to start with. Only real shortcoming is that it is gyros only so no accels for auto leveling. But the price for them makes them a great simple option for sure.

RocketManRC

Unread post by RocketManRC » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:56 pm

Way to go John!
Rick MacDonald

GreyFoxx

Unread post by GreyFoxx » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:38 am

MarkL wrote:Certainly lots of controller options, and more coming all the time it seems but the KK is a good simple board to start with. Only real shortcoming is that it is gyros only so no accels for auto leveling. But the price for them makes them a great simple option for sure.

Have you tried using one of these controllers in a tricopter? I picked up one of these boards and built myself a tricopter and try as I might I can't get the thing to take off without trying to just flip over and crash immediately. It's as if one of the forward motors is getting a lot more power than the others. Being my first multirotor I'm really not sure were to start trouble shooting this.

MarkL

Unread post by MarkL » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:46 am

Did you calibrate the ESCs to your Tx throttle range first? You'll need to do this to ensure all ESCs have the same throttle range.

Also assume you made sure the KK has the tricopter firmware loaded? I believe many times they come with Quad + configuration loaded.

waxman

Unread post by waxman » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:09 am

Mark's comments are bang on. ESCs need to be calibrated for throttle range and by default the KK board is configured for Q + configuration. I would lay bets on this being your problem unless you have specifically loaded the tricopter firmware. Are you using the authentic KK board or the HobbyKing version of the KK board?
John Liddard