Hobby King T6A 6-channel 2.4Ghz system, mods

A place for info or problems concerning Transmitters, Receivers or Servos.
lawndart

Hobby King T6A 6-channel 2.4Ghz system, mods

Unread post by lawndart » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:17 pm

Thought I'd share my experience so far with the el cheapo T6A 6-channel 2.4G spread spectrum radio system Hobby City has for $33. Note that it's a rebranded Turborix system. This kit is pretty limited but at the price, well, it's cheap, and extra TR6A receivers are only $14.

I bought the system when I was outfitting my Seawind EP, since I did not already have a radio suitable for using on more than one model. The HK receivers are compatible with the Imax / Flysky 9-channel 2.4Ghz transmitter module, so my longer term plan is to buy one of those, but for the time being I bought the whole system to see what it was like.

First, the limitations. Almost no settings can be changed on the transmitter itself. To program servo throws, mixes, switch functions or even to reverse a servo the Tx has to be interfaced with a PC using fairly ugly software. The only settings adjustable "on the fly" are subtrims on the sticks. Also the radio does not offer exponential settings, which I know is a deal-breaker for lots of people. On the plus-side it has built-in profiles for planes and three different helicopter set-ups, and virtually every datapoint in the Tx can be manipulated or reassigned.

I got the system set-up on the Seawind, and other than reversing one servo and increasing the throw on another it needed little tinkering. Since I've only used it on one model so far I have not had to revisit the programming issues yet. I must say the radio has worked perfectly and without issue since day one.

Typical of Hobby City, the radio arrives without a manual or even the software for programming it (although both turn up pretty quick in a Google search). In my travels, however, I found a thread on RCGroups dedicated to programming and hacking the T6A, and could not resist a few of the hacks myself.

4 Cell Mod. First I followed schematics offered on that thread to operate the Tx on 4 AA's, like Spektrum and other 2.4Ghz radios, rather than 8 AA's. The Tx operates on 5v, but as-built required 9.6-12v (8 AA's) which it knocked down to 5v internally. The hack was relatively easy, including adjusting the battery monitor LED, and makes the Tx lighter. It also leaves a 4-AA-sized space in the battery bay to store, eg., my Rx binding plug.

Field Programming.
Second and more importantly I managed to build a cable to permit programming the Tx with a Palmpilot instead of a PC. This means I can field-adjust the Tx's settings and even use it for multiple models. A member of RCGroups produced a Palm compatible version of the programming software and a wiring schematic for building an interface cord using a Max232 IC and a few capacitors. I finished putting it together last night and posted the results on RCGroups if anyone is interested in dong the same. I have generous flyers there to thank for the Palm app and instruction.

While I'm not planning this myself, several posters to the RCGroups thread have bought the HK Tx for the sole purpose of cannibalizing its 2.4Ghz module and installing it in an older but high-quality 72Mhz Tx.

At $33 this system can't really be criticized too much. Plugging in a Palmpilot to change model profiles or settings is inconvenient compared to a DX6i, but like I said: 33 bucks. $14 receivers. It's true that you get what you pay for, but I feel like I got pretty good value for my money here.

Dave
------d-a-v-e---------------- >}-

Enforcer

Re: Hobby King T6A 6-channel 2.4Ghz system, mods

Unread post by Enforcer » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:01 pm

If you like to tinker, this sounds to me like a good deal as well... just don't forget about the shipping charges, exchange rate and "possible" Customs/Canada Post charges when thinking about this purchase. Adding these brings it much closer to the higher cost of the DXi.

Hobby King 2.4 6CH TX and RX and Bind Plug $32.95 US
Extra Reciever $12.74 US
TX USB Cable for Win2000/XP $2.89
Shipping (Air Parcel Canada 6-30 days) $29.89 US

$78.47 US = $85.34 CA (plus "possible" GST and Canada Post handling charges - about $10.00 CA)

So, could be 95.00 bucks! (with two RXes) and 80.00 (with one RX)

Sorry, don't mean to be a party poop Dave! :oops:
Murray Wheten

“My philosophy, like color television, is all there in black and white”
Monty Python