Help w AC/DC Charger

A place for info or problems concerning Transmitters, Receivers or Servos.
Canuck4ever

Help w AC/DC Charger

Unread post by Canuck4ever » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:10 pm

OK - I'm back into the hobby after 8 years and now we have NiCd and NiMH batteries, LiPo cells and LiFe packs (heavier than Lipos but better?).
From reading various forums, it appears Lipos are the way to go but they have to be charged under supervision (exploding problem?)

That said, if I wanted charger for NiMH (DX6i) and Lipo batteries/cells what would be a good charger? Looking for AC and DC input charging cabalility
Any inputs or insight would be appreciated on which charger is preferred (approx $100.00)

If I'm off the mark with batteries, feel free to correct me ;)

PS: I could not find a specific spot for batteries or chargers, my appologies in advance if this is in wrong forum
Marc "Coyote" Cayouette
----------------------------------------

Remember.....if it fits back in the box you bought it in - it likely won't fly again!

karlpenney

Re: Help w AC/DC Charger

Unread post by karlpenney » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:56 pm

For NiMH, use the DX6i's built in charger, or one of the chargers from Eneloop, Energizer, etc.

For Lipo, check out the Cellpro Multi4.

Revolectrix used to have an AC/DC power brick specifically for it, but I don't see it on their new website. You can get one locally for around $25 though.

Karl

Dirt Torpedo

Unread post by Dirt Torpedo » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:01 pm

?
Last edited by Dirt Torpedo on Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

schooner2000

Unread post by schooner2000 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:49 pm

I use the AC6 http://www.nitroplanes.com/thac6smbalic.html

Works great and is AC and DC

Canuck4ever

Unread post by Canuck4ever » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:02 pm

schooner2000 wrote:I use the AC6 http://www.nitroplanes.com/thac6smbalic.html

Tks all - the Thunder AC6 looks to be exactly what I was looking for. As for transmitter charging, bring spare charged set ;-)
Marc "Coyote" Cayouette

Remember.....if it fits back in the box you bought it in - it likely won't fly again!

schooner2000

Unread post by schooner2000 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:14 pm

Canuck4ever wrote:
schooner2000 wrote:I use the AC6 http://www.nitroplanes.com/thac6smbalic.html

Tks all - the Thunder AC6 looks to be exactly what I was looking for. As for transmitter charging, bring spare charged set ;-)
If you use it with Hyperion batteries you will need the balance adapter as the one with doesn't work with hyperion. Also make sure to get an adapter with whatever battery connector you plan to use, Deans, XT60, etc. It comes with some but not those.

saboo

Unread post by saboo » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:50 pm

When looking at a charger look at the maximum watts. The AC6 mentioned above has a max out of 50 watts. A 3 cell LiPo at 11.1 volts means a max charge rate of about 4.5 amps. A 6 cell at about 22 volts means a max of about 2.25 amps. Often the descriptions of units can state X amps, but that output is often at lower cell counts.

Having a unit that has an AC connection is not that great an advantage. I use a converted Computer power supply for my 12 volt supply in the house with 2 pairs of female banana jacks. Others in the group do as well. I have a permanently connected Cigarette lighter adapter in my car with Banana jack females soldered on the wire ends. I have various chargers all with male banana jacks on them. I have several chargers, some of which are no longer available so I will not mention them.

The most useful one I have found for LiPos is this one for 24.95US

http://unitedhobbies.com/hobbyking/stor ... ge_Capable

It can charge 2 2cell packs at a time or 1 3 cell or 1 4 cell. No LCD no messing around. Just pick the charge rate and go. I use it for all my batteries down to 600 mah. They are inexpensive enough that you can get 2 or 3 for less than some of the more complex units. Sometimes charging 2 or 3 batteries at a time is very useful.

The next order I place with Hobby King will include another of these.

If the Tx you have uses 8 cells then Hobby King has LiPo packs for transmitters, that may replace the NiMh pack. It is important to put voltage dropping diodes between the pack and the Spectrum Tx if you use a 3 cell pack. Using LiiPo will give you hours of run time and reduce the self discharge, so the Tx is always ready to fly.
Nothing like the smell of electrons in the morning ;-)

Canuck4ever

Unread post by Canuck4ever » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:45 pm

And just when I thought I had it all figured out :lol:
Marc "Coyote" Cayouette