ac to 12vdc power supplies? local? cheap?

A place to share info on Sale priced RC products.
rhyneheimer

ac to 12vdc power supplies? local? cheap?

Unread post by rhyneheimer » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:05 pm

hey guys, any hot tips? just looking for new ac to 12vdc power supplies, maybe a couple or a few, hopefully local and cheap

i have a PC power supply but it's not very portable, and my main current power supply is an old heavy hot brick that's only rated at 3.5 amps at 12v, and it basically heats my apartment when i'm charging more than one lipo
Steve Ryan -
HEFA/MAAC pilot, slope soaring fanatic, electric enthusiast -
I am not a drone

saboo

Re: ac to 12vdc power supplies? local? cheap?

Unread post by saboo » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:40 am

Used PC power supplies, of current vintage, usually have much more output at 12 volts, than in the past. Grabbing one at random, shows 8 amps at 12 volts. I can use 2 chargers at 3 plus amps at a time with one of these. Looking at another one, with SATA power plug, it gives 14 Amps at 12 volts when the yellow and black 12 volt lines are used. If you have a LiPo that can be charged at 10 amps, one of those would be the answer.

By mounting the banana jack receptacles in the top and an automotive light bulb in the hole where the wires used to come out, you are left with a single box. Add an AC cord and it is neat and tidy. Add a cabinet handle from your favorite building supply store and it is very portable.

I usually mount 2 or 3 pairs of banana jacks in the top. Many used ones don't have a power switch. Newer ones seem to have the switch. It depends on the vendor and the vintage.

The light serves a dual purpose. First off it is a 'power on' indicator. Secondly, I use the single filament automotive tail light bulb as a load on the 5 volt rail, to make sure the 12 volt is close to 12 volts. Without a load on the 5 volt, some don't give you more than 11 volts on the 12 volt rail.
Nothing like the smell of electrons in the morning ;-)

rhyneheimer

Unread post by rhyneheimer » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:06 pm

sounds good, i think i'll give it a go! thanks!
Steve Ryan -
HEFA/MAAC pilot, slope soaring fanatic, electric enthusiast -
I am not a drone

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:32 pm

I have a need to setup a charger for when I'm flying indoors. I have a 4 inch square FMA Direct Cellpro charger that requires a 12 volt input and the little lipos I will be charging will not each draw over 1 amp...some only .5 of an amp. I wanted to be able to carry the setup in the same box as my indoor model transmitter.

I found this power adapter online...cheap, and hopefully will fill the bill..for Bill..!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/252319760292

Bill
Attachments
power adapter.jpg
power adapter.jpg (1.51 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708