Osprey Cam from NS Power Corp

a place to discuss current events and other non hobby topics.
retiredVTT

Osprey Cam from NS Power Corp

Unread post by retiredVTT » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:16 pm

https://www.novascotiawebcams.com/en/we ... m=referral

Mum and Pop are raising a couple of youngsters in this nest atop a pole "somewhere".
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Re: Osprey Cam from NS Power Corp

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:47 pm

Watching this site is a fantastic lesson is wildlife nurturing; every day "pop" shows up four times or so with the catch of the day and "mum" tears the catch up and beak feeds it to the youngsters....who are growing fast..!
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:49 pm

NSPower went to great lengths for this Osprey Cam setup. I found this picture of the setup which shows the camera mounted high up on an adjacent pole, aiming down at the nest. Also in this picture can be seen a light which seems to come on in the evening twilight hours, but goes out overnight ...I believe it's "lights out" around 9:30PM.

Don't know the exact location of the nest, but suspect it's somewhere on the Annapolis River, NS.
Attachments
04556f6fdb0f1445095ce397191686a6ea33fa4560a4ef896e7360762ea9cddf.jpg
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:05 pm

I think the light might be infrared to illuminate the nest at night as it's very clear even now, just in black and white.
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

astroflyer

Unread post by astroflyer » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:05 pm

What a great web cam Bill! Thanks for posting this link.

Immediately I called it up mom/dad dropped into the nest as if I had cued things! Great quality and clarity!

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:23 pm

It's been quite an experience following the Osprey site. From little bundles the chicks have developed at an amazing rate. For a long time one of the chicks was more advanced, being more aggressive in feeding himself and attempting to hover. then the second chick started to catch up.
Yesterday afternoon one chic took off and disappeared for over an hour. the second chick on her own appeared to be quite disturbed. Eventually the missing chick returned and all was well.
This morning, both chicks took off and were gone for several hours and returned. They had several short flights later in the day.
Daddy Osprey does not spend much time on the nest, just visiting to deliver some Yummy Food. I'm sure he must have a bit on the side.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:36 pm

Well, here we go again ..another life cycle begins for one of our favorite Nova Scotia birds, the Osprey.
I clicked on this site about a month ago and got a surprise when the "mama bird" finally got off the center of the nest to reveal two eggs beneath.

What surprised me this morning is the clarity of the webcam picture ...it is larger and seems to be high resolution, perhaps a new camera..!

Congrats to NSPower for keeping this thing up to date..!

Later Edit: Holy Moly...Papa just flew in, Mama got off the nest ...AND THERE ARE THREE YOUNGENS IN THERE.....well, this will keep Mama and Papa busy feeding these three ...it seemed hectic last year looking after just two..!

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:58 pm

Ha, that's a coincidence. I was just going to post about my own wildlife.

There is a Robin's nest on the pergola above my back door. I have put a camera on it so I can watch them. It's a little blurry because there isn't much room for the camera and it doesn't like to focus so close.

Click on the link to see them. If the live video does not stream smoothly you can click on the video to see the individual recordings. They're only one minute long, but they play smoothly. I'm using an old laptop so it's doing the best it can. It will only support a few connections so please don't leave your connections on too long so others can see them.

http://156.57.125.156:8080
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:17 pm

Getting interesting with three young-ens running around..!

https://www.novascotiawebcams.com/en/webcams/ospreycam/
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:24 pm

Lots of action around the nest...Man, they grow fast...!

Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708