Help - Eyeglasses

a place to discuss current events and other non hobby topics.
Coyote

Help - Eyeglasses

Unread post by Coyote » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:37 pm

Ok this for those folks who wear eye glasses at the field -

I will shortly be replacing my Progressive eyeglasses and the ones I currently have, have magnetic clips for sun glasses attachments (which I tend to lose once in a while or break)

I'm also looking at what they call the Transitional lenses where the eyeglasses go dark when it's sunny outside and go clear once inside or reduced sunlight - so no need for magnetic sun clips $69 a pop

Any of you have those transitional lenses? Do they work? Worth the extra $50?

Tks
-----------------------------------------------------
Marc "Coyote" Cayouette
Halifax Electric Flyers Association (HEFA) # 054
MAAC #35128
DX9

retiredVTT

Re: Help - Eyeglasses

Unread post by retiredVTT » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:35 pm

At my last visit to Vogue Optical where the "second pair is free", I opted for a prescription pair of sunglasses and they stay in the glove compartment of my vehicle.

Depending on the brand, the complaint I have heard about the Transitional lenses is the rate at which they change back when entering a building..sometimes it's too slow.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Coyote

Unread post by Coyote » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:30 pm

retiredVTT wrote:Depending on the brand, the complaint I have heard about the Transitional lenses is the rate at which they change back when entering a building..sometimes it's too slow.
Bill
Yeah - I'm starting to hear the same

I'll ask the supplier if I could get one of each - if not I 'll likely w 2 magnetic clips to go w my 2 new pairs
Marc "Coyote" Cayouette
MAAC #35128
DX9

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:43 am

I looked at this option the last time I got new glasses and was told they don't work well in the car. The darkness is activated by UV and a car's windshield filters it out so they don't react. I've also heard that they lose the ability to go complete clear over time and will eventually always have a slight tint but this may have been resolved in modern lenses.
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

Coyote

Unread post by Coyote » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:13 pm

Thanks for all the responses

Since I was buying two pairs, I decided to buy a pair of each. Interesting - after doing some research here's what I found (may help some of you) -

Two pairs at Vogue Optical - For progressive lenses with clips (and frames) - $899 under buy one get one free. UV transition would be additional $125 per eyeglasses

Two pairs at Costco - For progressive lenses with clips (and frames) - $899 and price includes one of them w UV transition along w clip (in car driving)

Two pairs at Family Focus - For progressive lenses with clips (and frames) - $1200 - does not include UV transition

Two pairs at Wall mart - For progressive lenses with clips (and frames) - $700 - does not include UV transition - CHEAPEST PRICE

Did not go with Wall mart as selection was limited and I was not confident with quality of lenses

Obviously no taxes since medical purchase

PS: I guess I can't use that as my excuse if I bury one in the ground 8-)
Marc "Coyote" Cayouette
MAAC #35128
DX9

astroflyer

Unread post by astroflyer » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:49 pm

hmm..pricey.

Got mine at vogue optical today. Two pairs, one sunglasses, the other clear.  Anti scratch coating.  Opted not to get anti glare.  The sunglasses are tinted, and don't change.

Total cost 371.70 for the two pairs.  I happened to pick a style that was on sale so that helped.  Ten percent off for seniors also helped.

Interestingly did some research and the two pairs the same configuration as above online was $128.90. (Two pair online special that ends today, probably say the same if I went there tomorrow)  Even without the two pair special it was only about 90 bucks for the one pair. It's almost worth getting them as well just to compare. Several friends and family members swear by the online glasses.  I think it was a marketplace special I saw that said they were equal, and my friend Rob calls my purchase today the "warm and fuzzy" feeling when you go for the dealer stuff in a car dealership or today at vogue.  He may well be right about that.  LOL

Coyote

Unread post by Coyote » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:43 am

I think it was the progressive that jacked up the price

PS: I did look online but......
Marc "Coyote" Cayouette
MAAC #35128
DX9

astroflyer