New aviation animated movie in theatres soon.

a place to discuss current events and other non hobby topics.
Ghost Flyer

New aviation animated movie in theatres soon.

Unread post by Ghost Flyer » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:03 pm

The Wind Rises: Coming to the Oxford Movie Theatre on Friday, Feb 28. (limited release)
(A look at the life of Jiro Horikoshi, the man who designed Japanese fighter planes during World War II.)

Okay, I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but I enjoy the occasional animated movie. In particular, a few movies directed and written by Hayao Miyazaki are among my favourites. I stumbled upon them when my oldest daughter,Kaitlyn, was still a young child. To this day, Kaitlyn, every year or two, will ask me to watch one of these movies with her, because they are special. "Kiki's Delivery Service", "My Neighbour Totoro" (one of the best), "Spirited Away" and "Castle in the Sky" are great. There are more that we haven't seen yet. I've always thought that the writer must have a fascination with flight because many of his movies will have a snippet of some fantastic airplane, or some kid trying to pedal a bike with wings on it, or even have lots of fantasy aircraft in it.

It turns out, I was right. There is a new movie out called, "The Wind Rises". It's basically about a young boy (real life Jiro Horikoshi) who is enamoured with the idea of flight, paper airplanes, and eventually, when grown up, designing Japanese WWII fighter planes. I think that many of us will relate to this story as folks who have been bitten by this bug and are living our dream through flying RC aircraft.

I plan to go see this movie some evening, next week, likely by myself. (Christine wouldn't be at all interested :lol: ) This might be odd, but if anyone else is interested in seeing it too, let me know. Maybe a group of us can go see it. It is only playing at the Oxford, with two shows, 6:45 and 9:30 PM, for likely just one week.

Here is a link to the film info and trailer.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2013293/?ref_=asrtt_sr_tt

Andrew C
Attachments
The Wind Rises
The Wind Rises
Andrew C.

CF Av8or

Re: New aviation animated movie in theatres soon.

Unread post by CF Av8or » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:21 pm

Hey Andrew, I'd be interested in seeing this with you. Let me know what nights work for you.

Vic

Ghost Flyer

Unread post by Ghost Flyer » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:10 pm

Sounds good, Vic. I'm pretty flexible next week. There is one day that I'll be away, but I don't which day that is yet. I should know by tomorrow at the latest.

Someone had asked me if this film was done in CGI. It's worth noting that this director (who is 73 years old) is known around the world as one of the very best hand-drawn animators.. No CGI, here. In fact, critics are saying that this is the best piece of art work/animation that this director has done and that it's absolutely stunning. I encourage folks to check out the trailer, if they haven't seen it yet.

The way I see it, anyone who flies RC models is, deep down, a kid at heart, which is a very good thing, I'd say.

AC
Andrew C.

Ghost Flyer

Unread post by Ghost Flyer » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:25 am

It looks like 3 of us will be going, so far. I'll know what night works for me, later tonight.
Andrew C.

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:12 pm

Cool. You can let me know when you come to the fun fly tomorrow....!

Vic

Ghost Flyer

Unread post by Ghost Flyer » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:29 pm

Just a last reminder in case anyone is interested. So far, there is a group of 5 of us going to this movie tonight, at 6:45 PM, at the Oxford Theatre. Feel free to come join us. Tonight is cheap night at the movies. The cost is $6.99 instead of $11.99 :) On cheap nights, it's a good idea to arrive 20 or more minutes early.

AC
Andrew C.