Furry Friend needed help..!

a place to discuss current events and other non hobby topics.
retiredVTT

Furry Friend needed help..!

Unread post by retiredVTT » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:57 pm

Quite a brave fellow with no thick leather gloves....!

http://www.maniacworld.com/very-brave-rescue.html

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

JohnOSullivan

Re: Furry Friend needed help..!

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:08 pm

I had a similar situation happen 8 years ago, when I ran a mineral exploration drilling program in Northern Manitoba. While returning to camp from the drill site, I came across a lynx trapped in a leg hold trap. It was legal for first nations to use such traps, but was an offence for white people to interfere with a trapped animal. I left the animal and discussed the situation with the base camp manager who was first nation. He suggested going back and hitting the animal over the head and leave it for the trapper. I went back and approached the animal to put it down. It was calm and allowed me to come close. It was caught by the paw. as I approached it pulled back and freed its paw from the trap. It was then able to run off without any problem. There was no blood or evidence that the animal had been injured. I have a wonderful photo of the animal in the trap, but can't locate it right now. It was a relief to see it escape unhurt.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

rhyneheimer

Re: Furry Friend needed help..!

Unread post by rhyneheimer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:18 am

good stories!

not quite as dangerous, but while fishing from the canoe in shubie grand we found (we thought) a dying loon on its back in a soggy hollow, flies buzzing about it,. a big animal, very penguin like, but can hardly walk on land, and a big dangerous looking beak. the bird was quite still as we landed on shore. i had had a much smaller raven draw blood when it bit me in the face before (it hurt!), so i grabbed the beak first - still nothing. i carefully pulled it up towards me, standing him up, and WHAM he became a ball of fury as he whipped around out of my hands, porpoised across 10 or 15 feet of land, hit the water while airborne, and disappeared. he came up maybe 70 ft out, looked at us, and basically danced a jig while going "whoop whoop deedoo yeehaw". he dived once more, and we never saw him again.

"i've fallen, and i can't get up"
Steve Ryan -
HEFA/MAAC pilot, slope soaring fanatic, electric enthusiast -
I am not a drone