Programming Parkzone ESC for LiPo

Discussions related to milatary rc models
lawndart

Programming Parkzone ESC for LiPo

Unread post by lawndart » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:31 pm

Looks like Murray already found the directions for reprogramming his Parkzone P-51 for lipo, but for ease of reference here are the complete instructions:

Teach-In from the Tx:

1. With the battery disconnected from the receiver, and the transmitter turned on, move the throttle slide to full throttle position. Leave it in this position and then connect the battery to the receiver.

2. Wait for 2 seconds, and you will hear one long tone to indicate the receiver is connected.

3. You will next hear a series of short tones to indicate the current cutoff setting.
  • 1 beep = 5.6V (6–7-cell Ni-MH )
    2 beep = 6.0V (8–9-cell Ni-MH, 2-cell Li-Po)
    3 beep = 9.0V (3-cell Li-Po)
    7 beep = 70% Smart Cut soft cutoff
4. Next, after indicating the current cutoff setting, wait 6 seconds. There will be a long beep indicating you have successfully entered the programming mode.

5. Once you have entered the programming mode, the programming menu will give the following selections:
  • 1 beep = menu item1 = 5.6V (6–7-cell Ni-MH )
    2 beep = menu item2 = 6.0V (8–9-cell Ni-MH, 2-cell Li-Po)
    3 beep = menu item3 = 9.0V (3-cell Li-Po)
    7 beep = menu item4 = 70% Smart Cut soft cutoff
There will be a 4-second pause between each selection. To confirm a selection, move the throttle slider to the center position during the pause.
You will then hear 4 short beeps indicating that a successful selection has been made. Note: If the slider is left in the full throttle position and upon reaching selection 4, no selection has been made, the programming menu will repeat. You may also scroll through the menu in reverse by moving the throttle slide to the full down position during any 4-second pause.

Move the throttle slide to idle. The receiver has now armed the motor, and when you move the slide upward, the motor will run.
------d-a-v-e---------------- >}-

Enforcer

Re: Programming Parkzone ESC for LiPo

Unread post by Enforcer » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:22 am

Thank you very much for posting this Dave.

What I did was quite a bit simpler, but perhaps not a complete conversion. The manual gives directions on how to configure the plane to use LiPos on page 9. You simply remove a "shunt" from Jumper 3 to use 3S LiPos. I used this method for the Super Cub as well (thanks again Andrew S.) By using the method you list, there are many more options.

Thanks again for taking the time to post this form me (us).

BTW, how is your newest float plane doing?
Murray Wheten

“My philosophy, like color television, is all there in black and white”
Monty Python

lawndart

Unread post by lawndart » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:03 pm

Hi Murray --

The manual for the spit (http://www.hobbyzone.com/documents/PKZ1700-manual.pdf indicates that removing the jumper means you won't have dual rates (although at this stage that probably doesn't matter for you anymore).

Thanks for asking about the Seawind -- it's all fixed up and ready for the next outing. The motor mount broke on my aborted take-off but a little Sumo Glue as it back in place and apparently airworthy. I also used lightweight spackle where the foam got chopped by the prop, then sealed the spackle with white Krylon H20 paint that seems to be foam-safe. I'm out of town this weekend though so won't be able to try it for a while..!

Dave
------d-a-v-e---------------- >}-

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:32 pm

Hey Dave!

I compared the two manuals. There is no way to use the Tx that come with the P-51 to make any changes. There are only three things that can be changed and those are all configured using jumpers located on the Rx. Jumper 1 - Flight Trac on/off (mixes a little elevator with ailerons), Jumper 2 - Conventional Control/ "V" tail (elevon) control, Jumper 3 - 6-9 cell Ni-MH/ 3S Li-Po.
Murray Wheten

“My philosophy, like color television, is all there in black and white”
Monty Python