I've lost my mind... it's all Bill's fault!

Discussions related to milatary rc models
Enforcer

Re: I've lost my mind... it's all Bill's fault!

Unread post by Enforcer » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:12 pm

Thanks John and don't worry, I wasn't serious about throwing it off the balcony (well, not just yet anyway). I was simply not prepared for the amount of work involved. Work that in my opinion could/should have been done at the factory based on how much this model costs. I have been spoiled by the RTFs and PNPs I have I guess, and the one "true" ARF.

I'll bring it to the field so everyone can see what I am talking about... and get help from you and the rest of the gang (or are we a "gaggle" :lol: ). As far as I am concerned, sharing your experience (frustration) with the gaggle is half the fun.

Oh, and I am not "nearly" as out-of-control as I let on! :lol:
Murray Wheten

“My philosophy, like color television, is all there in black and white”
Monty Python

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:27 pm

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... Grey+Nurse

post # 1055 - not a happy camper..!

and Murray, I found this post..did you get written instructions..?

"..as for the instructions, you should have a pictorial version AND a written version. Typically the written version is missing as the other comes from the factory. Sorry we do not have these planes in stock any longer or I would send you a photo copy. I will check to make sure we don't have one laying around."

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:51 pm

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... grey+nurse

Post # 1121 has 24 mods listed....including throwing away the plastic wheel wells and going with larger wheels..!

Post # 1135 - picture shows new retract holes placed forward 1 inch to improve landing without nosing over..

Post# 1174 - picture shows a nice retract installation with larger wheels I believe, and excellent iron on wing stripes.

that's it for tonight..a lot of info in this thread..!

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:39 pm

Thanks Bill. I appreciate all your work!

So, it would seem that my comments and concerns are justified in a way. It's good to know others have had similar issues with this kit.

As I stated earlier, you more experienced guys started in this hobby when you had to build everything from scratch pretty much. You probably looked forward to finding problems and then fixing them. But, guys like me don't expect that. We want everything to fit. We don't want to have to modify an expensive kit to get it to work... we're (I'm) lazy! :lol:

I have absolutely no problem following Step by Step instructions and gluing things together "that fit". I rather enjoy that. What I don't enjoy is having a kit that has been around for a few years, and nothing has been done to "improve" it. As an example, even Errol had trouble figuring out what type of servos and extensions to order. In one place it very specifically says to use a "retract servo". Directly across from that, on the same page, it says to use a regular metal servo.

Anyway, I have it just about put together. There is no place for air to flow out of this plane. There is nothing in the manual or the pictorial that talks about this. I am no modeler, but I know that things will get hot, and fast! Point in case, the Hellcat meltdown!

As always, I have learned something that I didn't know before starting this project. So, that's a good thing! I will stick with the RTFs, BNF, and PNPs in the future. I'll leave the modeling to the modelers! I truly admire your dedication and patience... I wish I had those traits!
Murray Wheten

Monty Python

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:43 pm

I picked up the servos and the extensions today. $290.00... ooouuuucccchhhh! I hope I get at least one flight out of it before I crash it!!! :lol:
Murray Wheten

Monty Python

KrasherJack

Unread post by KrasherJack » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:22 pm

Don't Crash It.... :D
Zoom..Zoom

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:24 pm

Hey Jack! Where ya been buddy? I wanted to get some more information about that new flying sight you talked about last time I saw you. I thought it would be a good place for some of us to fly our bigger planes. Maybe make a full day of it sometime!?!
Murray Wheten

Monty Python

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:10 pm

Who would like to finish building the Nurse. I will pay you.

I made an attempt to finish this thing but I am afraid I just don't possess the skill, and more importantly, the patients. My fingers are too big and clumsy, and this plane is too flimsy for those big clumsy fingers. If you're interested, let me know.

I am serious about paying to have it finished and you can also fly it anytime you like. I came close to throwing it in the bin last night (I'm not kidding... very, very close). These balsa kits are not for me. I love flying, I HATE building... sorry!

Marc?

I have all the tools, glue, and a nice new bench, in a well lit garage that you're welcome to use. I can even be your go-fer! If I don't have what you need to finish it, I'll get it.

Also, I am sure that someone will attempt to encourage me to finish it myself... and that is fine... but, that ain't gonna happen. If there's one thing I know, it's when to quit. I have done enough damage to this bird, and I refuse to ruin it totally!
Murray Wheten

Monty Python

yorcram

Unread post by yorcram » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:41 pm

If you like I can take it home and see what I can do. Send me a PM with the issues so I can see where your at. Have to help a friend move, then Sat is my wife's B-day but I should be at the field this weekend if the wx is good.

Cheers,
Marc
Plane Crazey :D

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:11 pm

This weekend is out for SP because of the soccer folks. I'll bring it with me next weekend for you to have a look at it. You won't have a problem finishing it I am sure. I just don't know what I am doing, and I find the instructions to complicated due to my lack of skill with kits like this.

Thanks!
Murray Wheten

Monty Python