A top notch indoor site !

A place to post info regarding indoor r/c flying.
Hunter850

Re: A top notch indoor site possibility..?

Unread post by Hunter850 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:07 pm

Just came across your post. Looks great. Any idea on availability times? Days?

I would assume it is a busy place.

Kevin

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:45 pm

We will know more later this week....they have to be reassured that we will not damage the insulated walls. (prop strikes)

As soon as we know more, it will be posted here. It will require a number of us to keep the cost reasonable.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

steve

Unread post by steve » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:37 pm

retiredVTT wrote:We will know more later this week....they have to be reassured that we will not damage the insulated walls. (prop strikes)

As soon as we know more, it will be posted here. It will require a number of us to keep the cost reasonable.

Bill
Interesting....... What happens in the event of a "prop" strike ?

Steve
Steve

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:04 pm

Hi Steve ..
From the pics I've seen, I'm thinking that the walls may be lined with plastic or vinyl bags containing insulation....OR perhaps there are sheets of styrofoam. The management was concerned about the "insulation getting damaged"....I can only think of the prop doing any damage and even then you would think it would be minor.

Anyway it is a concern and we will be meeting with them to discuss this. Hopefully it is something that can be laid to rest.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Hunter850

Unread post by Hunter850 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:39 am

Bill,
You need to show them a flight demo or at least a plane showing the props. And I suppose there would have to be limits as to plane/heli size I guess? Flying at the school gyms does not take very long to go from one side to the other with some of the foamy planes. But then again the gyms are only about 1/4 size of this place. In the last two years the only planes/ helis that have touched the walls have been the tiny toys. The little cessnas, heli havacs that type of thing. These would not hurt anything but themselves.

Kevin

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:29 am

We had a very satisfactory meeting this morning with the management of the Indoor Soccer Facility at Mainland Common, on Thomas Raddell Ave, Clayton Park.

We have booked indoor flying events for FRIDAY, MARCH 6th and FRIDAY, MARCH 13th, between the hours of 12 noon and 1:30 PM each day.

The cost of each event will be $120.00

The cost per flyer will depend on the number of flyers...for example 6 flyers would be $20.00 each.

These may be the only dates available for awhile, as March break is booked solid, and there may be a closure in April for maintenance.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Hunter850

Unread post by Hunter850 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:35 am

I will be away 6 March. But if you have enough flyers, I would be interested on the 13th.

Not the best time slots for the working class. I do work but I am my own boss so that helps. :D

I imagine their evenings are pretty busy?

Kevin

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:58 pm

Yes, evening are out ..fully booked..!
There were some 9am slots..but hey, we retirees like to arise at 10am and have our first coffee..!

It may be an idea for each of us to post the times we like and then we could go from there...we thought today that the noon lunch hour would work for most..

The building is the biggest indoor site in the area I've seen....but hey I still hit the walls..TWICE..!

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

steve

Unread post by steve » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:21 pm

Unfortunately, I will have to pass on those times.

Maybe next time around.

For me , the earlier the better.

steve
Steve

RocketManRC

Unread post by RocketManRC » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:12 pm

The facility is being rented to HEFA and because we have never done anything like this before I think we need to limit the number of people to a maximum of 10 or so on the first try at this (March 6th). So please send me a PM here if you want to participate. Also Bill failed to mention that you need to be a current MAAC member so make sure you bring your membership card with you.

We can actually get the facility every week until the end of May but we may have to take another day and time besides the Friday during march break.

We can rent the facility for as little as an hour and that is $80 so I figure as long as there are at least four of us each week it is affordable and we should book it.

I took some video this morning and will put a few clips in my Vimeo acount.

Rick
Rick MacDonald
May you live in interesting times!