Resurection of some old indoor models

A place to post info regarding indoor r/c flying.
JohnOSullivan

Resurection of some old indoor models

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:58 pm

I was rooting through my pile of debris and came across some old models worthy of refurbishment.
First was a 20" elliptical wing model started about 10 years ago but not completed - wing and fuselage are ready for covering and plans drawn for tailplane and fin. Motor will be a 5 gm hobby King.

Second is my 1/2 size Eyespy of 25" wingspan which I built in 2003. still has servos etc in it. Original motor was a self wound outrunner of about 18mm diameter. Back in those days there no brushless motors that small so you had to wind your own. A hobby king 5 gm motor should suit.

The third is a rebuild of a unique 31" model called the Butterfly. Chris Dean and I each had two about 13 years ago. They are like giant "Vapors" and were the first of these type of models that came out. I pulled out the remains of mine and found it could be rebuilt. Wing needs fixing at the leading edge and the fuselage, rudder and one half of the tailplane are usable. I have just built the second half of the tailplane and it looks good. I'll be happy to get this one going again. My first one was chewed to an untimely death by a helicopter at an indoor meet.

Lesson learned----- Don't ignore your long forgotten and neglected models, they will rise to give you fun again.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

CF Av8or

Re: Resurection of some old indoor models

Unread post by CF Av8or » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:16 pm

These sound like awesome models, John, and I look forward to seeing them fly.

Vic

astroflyer

Re: Resurection of some old indoor models

Unread post by astroflyer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:44 am

I remember those butterfly models John at one of the first ever indoor events locally. It was at the Bloomfield school on agricola street I believe. I remember it to be a great flyer and I remember being very impressed with it. I fondly remember you letting me fly it!