Indoor Flying at Lake Echo Community Ctr

A place to post info regarding indoor r/c flying.
CF Av8or

Indoor Flying at Lake Echo Community Ctr

Unread post by CF Av8or » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:02 pm

Hey Everyone,

How about some free indoor flying in a couple of weeks?

We have recently received a request from the facility coordinator at the Lake Echo Community Centre to provide an indoor flying demonstration for their March Break Kid’s Camp. The date is Wednesday 18 March from 2:30 to 4:30 pm. I know this time limits the amount of participation we can expect due to most people having to work, but this is when the kids are present for the camp.

We will have a full two hours in their gym for the demonstration. The facility is a little smaller than the Porters Lake gym, but is still quite suitable for indoor flying. I’m hoping we can get a good variety of indoor aircraft and take some time to answer questions from the kids. Perhaps members with a buddy system could even allow some of the kids to try their hands at flying. The kids are aged Primary to Grade 6 and the parents have been invited to come along to spectate. Here’s a link to the community centre website for more info: http://lakeechorec.com/

I’m hoping that we can get a bunch of fliers to come out and put on a good demo for the kids. And hey, it’s free!

Please let me know if you think you might be able to help support this worthwhile request.

Thanks,
Vic

astroflyer

Re: Indoor Flying at Lake Echo Community Ctr

Unread post by astroflyer » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:29 am

I'm certainly up for this Vic. I can wireless buddy box let's say a nano quad and a night vapor. We could even turn the lights off. Lol

And I can shoot an item for the MAAC newsletter as well. Works for me!

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:35 am

That's great, Al. Thanks!

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:11 pm

How many kids will there be there Vic?
I will build a bunch of 12"Free Flight Sparrows, which we used to use as a first model on our School building courses.
They can fly the hell our of them and then take them home.
If there is going to be a lot of them I may have to come down on Maritime Hobbies for some wood donations.
I know that they are not RC, but will give them the basics of model flight.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:20 pm

That's fantastic John!

In fact, I was thinking along the same lines. I thought that some of those small rubber powered jobs that came in a plastic bag that I used to buy as a kid would be great for this event. So, your offer would be great.

I believe the coordinator said there could be up to 20 kids, but I will try to confirm the actual number and get back to you.

Thanks,
Vic

rhyneheimer

Unread post by rhyneheimer » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:30 pm

awesome, nice going. sounds like fun, but i doubt i'll make it on foot. never had my hands on one of John's little sparrows, but am sure they fly well. Maritime Hobbies supply all things cool that fly so i'm sure non-rc is not an issue. definitely it's best to gettem while they're young - have fun
Steve Ryan -
HEFA/MAAC pilot, slope soaring fanatic, electric enthusiast -
I am not a drone

rhyneheimer

Unread post by rhyneheimer » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:47 pm

hopefully John this is legit and not reproduced without permission - i'm pretty sure that you've made these vintage plans available for free - i suddenly have the urge to build a Sparrow so i can add to the many hours i've spent throwing planes around my living room...

Sparrow by John O'Sullivan
12in span
Quote from the designer: - "This model was designed as a first model as part of a 10 week model building course which a couple of friends and I put on at local schools for several years. This model could be built and flown on the first night and gave the kids a practical and functional flier after one session of building. ..."
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3756
3756.jpg
3756.jpg (17.61 KiB) Viewed 4662 times
Steve Ryan -
HEFA/MAAC pilot, slope soaring fanatic, electric enthusiast -
I am not a drone

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:43 am

Outerzone has over 6000 Free Plans available ranging from established Kit models, Magazine published plans and unpublished plans.

Recently, all 200+ plans from the defunct Model Builder had to be withdrawn from Outerzone as the AMA acquired the rights from Anita Northrop owner of Model Builder Magazine copyright.

I have about 18 of my plans on the site ranging from control line to my free flight power models and R/C Sailplanes.
do a search under O'Sullivan
http://outerzone.co.uk/
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:23 pm

Just talked to John Hatt of Maritime Hobbies.
He generously offered to donate the balsa wood to build 20 models for the Echo lake Flying session.
I will collect and get started on constriction of the models.
Support your local hobby shop.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:23 pm

Awesome, John! Thanks for taking this on.

And thank you, John, at Maritime Hobbies. The kids will be thrilled!