HEFA INDOOR FLYING SCHEDULE - Fall 2015/Winter2016

A place to post info regarding indoor r/c flying.
CF Av8or

Re: HEFA INDOOR FLYING SCHEDULE - Fall 2015/Winter2016

Unread post by CF Av8or » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:31 am

A final reminder of our indoor session tonight at 6 pm!

Cheers,
Vic

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:21 pm

Wish that I could make it this evening!!! Final curling game coming up at 430pm... Enjoy the indoor experience!!

All the best,

Brian

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:31 pm

I am tied up as well with a family commitment ....sorry.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:34 pm

Sorry you guys (Brian and Bill) couldn't make it tonight. It was a small group (six in total), but we had fun.

We reduced it to a two hour session to lower the cost, but the fine gals at the Centre graciously gave us an extra half hour for free! Carol's husband, Garth (I believe), who is quite keen on the idea of RC, flew his multi-copter for a while and chipped in $10 towards the rental to help us out. Kate's young son, Carter, who is a budding model airplane enthusiast, flew his mini Champ and did pretty well for a neophyte (thanks again Kevin for doing the repair on his motor/gearbox). He was a very thrilled little boy!

I'll book the next session for Sunday 14 Feb.

Cheers,
Vic

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:22 pm

Indoor Flying Sunday 14 Feb 2016 (9 to 11 AM)

Our next indoor session is this coming Sunday in Porters Lake! The timing has been changed in consideration of Valentines Day. Please note that if we get enough fliers to support the cost, the session may be extended to 3 hours.

Come out for a morning session of flying and have the rest of the day to spend with your Valentine!

Cheers,
Vic

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:48 pm

Only three of us out at Porters Lake this morning. Unfortunately, the club fund is taking a bit of a beating. I realize that it was Valentine's Day, but I thought that an early morning session would work out favourably. Is this perhaps a sign that indoor is done for the year?

Let me know whether I should be reserving a slot for two weekends from now. I will not be available to participate, so if it is decided that more indoor flying is desired, we will need someone else to oversee this (ie. collect the money on the day of, and coordinate with the Ctr regarding further sessions).

On the plus side, it was a perfect opportunity to do some training flights with young Carter (son of the lady who works at the Ctr). He did great, and promises to be a potential future HEFA member. We also took the opportunity to maiden Mary's newly-built Blazy Bee, foamboard, slow-flyer. It flew very well and Mary had a couple of successful flights with it herself.

Standing by for feedback on future indoor sessions.

Vic

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:27 pm

I believe Vic that we have run the course regarding attendance for this year.

If I'm wrong, right now would be the time for members to stand and be counted by adding their name to this thread, as wanting to proceed with additional sessions.

To break even with the expenses, it requires eleven members to participate at each session.

cheers,
Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

chodgkinson

Unread post by chodgkinson » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:40 pm

Count me in for another session or two if there is enough interest from others, otherwise there's always Milford on a Monday night for an occasional indoor "fix".

Chris

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:07 pm

It's a shame you can't learn to fly inside, at least the weather is more consistent. I'd be there every week if I could. I find it hard to predict when it's suitable to show up at the field.
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:39 pm

Bruce,

Indoor flying can certainly be predictable but it is tight (lots of quick turns!) and can be chaotic at times with multiple planes in the air in a relatively small gym. Unless you have a very slow flyer (I am thinking Vapor) then the space of a small gym can be just too limited when learning. So - in that sense the larger field is so much better for learning.

But, as you suggest, there are variables for consideration. It is best to pre-state your intentions to make sure that a trainer will be at the field, to arrange a time, and to make sure that the training plane is brought along. Sometimes that valuable space in the car will be used for other "toys" that we might want to fly ourselves and the trainer will be left at home. Even then - with the best of planning - the weather might not be conducive to introductory or training flights. So that can be a hit and miss a little. In the spring/summer/fall months we might be at the field until lunch or perhaps even later... but winter weather can take a bite out of that schedule too.

Those are my thoughts. Let us know your intentions a little in advance and we will do our best... but remember that we all are juggling a lot of balls with other commitments and watchful of the weather and that training flight might need to be deferred for another time.... to make it the best success possible. Still a great opportunity to participate in the conversations at the pit area and to learn from others.... as you know we have a supportive bunch!

Brian