Moncton Indoor Event

A place to post info regarding indoor r/c flying.
saboo

Moncton Indoor Event

Unread post by saboo » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:41 am

This weekend is the GIANT Indoor Fly-in in Moncton.

Giant as in the Moncton Coliseum !!

See this post on MAAC

http://maac.ca/events/event_details.php?eid=3797

Starts at 8AM with swap shop and table selling starting at 10:00AM. One hall for helis the other for planes.

Admission $20.00 for flyers and sellers. Spectators are FREE.

More details here

http://gmac.rcmoncton.org/?event=indoor ... -confirmed

Imagine two spaces totaling a 50,000 sq foot hall!!

The weather should be good for driving. It should be a great event.

Enjoy.
Nothing like the smell of electrons in the morning ;-)

saboo

Re: Moncton Indoor Event

Unread post by saboo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:43 am

A couple of us drove to Moncton yesterday. What a spectacular space. The drive was perfect. Cloudy bright day, not much wind, bare pavement and not much traffic all the way up and back.

Very good turnout on the plane side. Everything from rubber power ROG to hand launched gliders.

Did not appear to be as large a turnout on the Heli side.

Found several others from Halifax area clubs were there from the night before. They had driven up Friday night to get an early start.

A big thanks to Al Coolen who assisted me with my new indoor SloMo 28. It is not a bad plane, only a less than skilled pilot when I am at the controls. Using the left hand for that rudder thingy on a plane is new to me. Usually the left hand is used for the camera trigger or onboard sensor selector switch, not to 'steer' the plane.

It was remarkable to watch a small 12-13" span balsa and tissue high wing plane take off, circle up to the ceiling and slowly descend as the rubber wound down.

There were a few mid airs. Only one caused significant damage. At some times there were more than 10 planes in the air at once.

There were no classes of aircraft. You brought it, it was under 12oz, you flew it. In this location it worked out well. At times there were mostly small, other times mostly larger and the majority of the time there was a mix of everything. It worked here. It may not work elsewhere. YMMV

Many scratch built indoor planes. Big flying wings a la Steve Ryan. Some flat out style conventional planes made of depron. Some beautiful small balsa and film planes. Of course there were the mini and micro indoor pre-builts as well as larger kits. There were 2 Mossies just ripping around the place. Could have been the fastest planes there and they were flown fast most of the time. And survived. There was a ticket draw. Don't know the prizes or the winners. They sold tickets much of the day and there was a crowd standing around once when I was flying. That was the draw.

There were some tables setup for sellers. Mostly big planes being sold off. One person was selling 3m sheets of Depron.

If anyone plans to go there for next year, some thoughts.

Get there early. We got there after 10:00AM Flying had been going on for over 2 hours.
There are tables but if you have your own bring it.
Bring a folding chair! Not much sitting down and the feet and legs were dragging at the end of 5 hours.
Bring an extension cord with a power bar. Lots of outlets but they are 6' up the wall.

Flying was still going on when we left at 3:30 or so. I think we could have flown until 5:00PM. Nine hours for $20.00 is a good deal

Was so busy did not even get the camera out. This was a MAAC sanctioned event. Regis Landry the Atlantic zone rep was there.
Nothing like the smell of electrons in the morning ;-)

JohnOSullivan

Re: Moncton Indoor Event

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:29 pm

Nice to some Free flight Indoor action at Moncton.
Maybe we could introduce it at our indoor sessions. I have some indoor rubber models and glider designs which can be built in a couple of hours.
If anyone is interested, I can pull them out when I get home.
If nothing else, they will give you a good grounding in trimming out an aerodynamically sound design and an appreciation of the various effects of wing, tail and rudder functions to get stable flight without stick wiggling.
I'll kit up a few models and we can have some building sessions before the next indoor session.
Contact me if you are interested.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26