TIPS and PROBLEM SOLUTIONS for RC FLYERS

A place to learn more about Electric RC Flying.
Dirt Torpedo

Unread post by Dirt Torpedo » Mon May 24, 2010 1:22 pm

Last edited by Dirt Torpedo on Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retiredVTT

Re: TIPS and PROBLEM SOLUTIONS for RC FLYERS

Unread post by retiredVTT » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:48 pm

I'm building a small Depron foamy and came upon a tip I had not seen before...

...after sanding the 45* angle into the control surfaces, it is suggested that the depron be sealed with foam safe C/A along the hinge line before the control surfaces are hinged with tape. This will allow the tape to stick much better.
Here's the tip part..grab a small plastic baggie and spread the C/A with your finger in the baggie..!

I know...simple, but how come you didn't think of this..!

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

steve

Unread post by steve » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:00 am

....Been sealing balsa this way for a long time. It adds tremendous strength and provides a good surface for velcro in the battery hatch. Be careful though, it seems to amplify the smell of CA when you smear it like this ???

For Depron, Blederm sticks incredibly well ! All I do is simply wipe the area first with Alcohol then apply. I have yet to see this tape even begin to peel. It also seems to get stronger with time.

Although, The CA would provide a good surface, for me it simply just adds weight. A lighter option than CA is to first put a thin coat of water based poly urethane. This adds lesss weight, adds additional strength, and lessens the paint from rubbing off. We have been using this from day one with great results on all our foamies. Even this however is not necessary as it sticks to the clean depron very well

The biggest factor for me in building Foamies is "WEIGHT"!!! . The lighter the better. Now that I weigh everything, it is astonishing to see how much weight glues add. Less is more and only a drop or two here and there is really all that is needed.

As a "TIP".......Ive had "0" success with painting on blenderm. It always flakes or rubes off with or without the water based poly urethane. I now tape my hinged surfaces after painting ! It looks okay as blenderm is almost transparent

just my O2

Steve
Steve

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:08 pm

From E-flite - Determining Power Requirements:

In answer to one of the most asked questions when starting into Electric RC Flying...here is another answer, this from E-flite..

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo/Fi ... rement.pdf

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

steve

Unread post by steve » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:01 am

Thanks for your continued effort here Bill....!

I for one appreciate the info

Thks

Steve
Steve

Dirt Torpedo

Unread post by Dirt Torpedo » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:35 am

Last edited by Dirt Torpedo on Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GaryF

Re: Tip for lipo in cold weather.

Unread post by GaryF » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:48 pm

I picked up the Zippo hand warmer from Mountain Equipment Coop (MEC), downtown Halifax, works great.
Gary
Dirt Torpedo wrote:Lipo batteries are like a lot like people when it comes to cold weather: they need to be kept warm prior to use, while in use, and while charging.

This guy from the northern tip of Norway has put together a good page on cold weather e-flight.

Here are some heat sources available at MEC:

Toasterz reusable warmers
Heat Factory charcoal warmers
Zippo catalytic handwarmer

Cheers!
Gary Foster

Dirt Torpedo

Unread post by Dirt Torpedo » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:14 pm

Last edited by Dirt Torpedo on Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GaryF

Unread post by GaryF » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:15 pm

Here's what we need, 12v portable food warmer from Canadian Tire $39.99.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4 ... ?locale=en
Gary Foster

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:33 pm

A heavy duty clear product for applying to the bottom of "belly landers" is shown in this link..

http://www.amazon.com/Trimbrite-TRIMBRI ... 6432818-20

I would think 3M would have something similar....for those wheel-less jets, that we like to land on grass.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708