PHOENIX Simulator info..

A place to learn more about Electric RC Flying.
retiredVTT

PHOENIX Simulator info..

Unread post by retiredVTT » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:43 am

One of the greatest tools to come along in the RC hobby has to be the "simulator". This tool does so much to help the budding newbee get over that "which way do I move the stick when the model is coming toward me" problem.
As well as basic training, these sims go deep into the aerobatic training for both planes and helis and really are just miniture versions of the multi million dollar flight simulators used by the airlines and military.

The Phoenix simulator is an interesting one in that it comes with a full fledged Spectrum DX5e Transmitter that can also do duty at the field. It's not a fancy computer radio...but it's a 5 channel 2.4Ghz radio with reversing switches, dual rate switches and an elevon setup switch. You add a $50. receiver and a couple of $10 servos and your first plane is radio ready..!

The report I get from those who have tried Phoenix are positive. In particular, if you like flying helis it is a great sim.

A couple of features that sound great are....lifetime FREE updates of new aircraft..AUTOMATICALLY, once the program is loaded. Since the North American distributor is Horizon Hobby, that means as the new Hangar 9 and Eflite aircraft become available they will show up on the simulator. Also I believe as they upgrade the sim itself, this will be available via the Internet.

I'm in the market for a new simulator and will be taking a hard look at this one, with Xmas coming..!

Here are links..
http://www.hiflightrcshopping.com/runti ... 5645ced079

http://www.phoenix-sim.com/news.htm

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

RocketManRC

Re: PHOENIX Simulator info..

Unread post by RocketManRC » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:15 am

It is also available from Horizon without the radio for $129 US for those of us that already have too many radios :lol:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/De ... ID=RTM2500

It comes with a USB interface that also acts as a software protection 'dongle'. That means you can install the software on all the computers that you have and just carry around the 'dongle' (and radio of course). You have to make sure that you order the right adapters for your radios.

I have had Phoenix on my 'wanted' list for a while but it is quite expensive to buy directly from the manufacturer in the U.K. because of the currency conversion. It looks like a lot better deal from Horizon...

Rick
Rick MacDonald
May you live in interesting times!

AndrewS

Unread post by AndrewS » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:25 am

Here it is from GH...not in stock yet, but...
http://www.greathobbies.com/search/resu ... srchcat=ZS

Andrew
Andrew Smith,
HEFA 3
MAAC 76250

karlpenney

Unread post by karlpenney » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:45 am

Did anyone try this sim out yet? Comments?

Karl

astroflyer

Unread post by astroflyer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:01 am

It's a great simulator. heli's are modeled and fly realistically. don't find the aircraft quite as good as the heli's, seem to be a bit too easy to fly but I've not tweaked any of them. scenery is excellent.

I prefer it over realflight, mostly due to my experience with re-loading realflight after a computer crash and their absolutely anal need to protect their software with umpteen serial numbers. realflight though is also an excellent sim if you can get your mind around their protection scheme and the need to buy upgrade disks.

phoenix does a spectacular job of float flying for instance if your computer is up to the graphics. amazing to see your eflite beaver sitting there actually rocking in the gentle waves on the shoreline.

as for resource demand, phoenix is considerably better in that area, but still the better then machine, the better the graphics. particularly so in the water effects.

their downloadable non interactive demo will show you what your computer can do with phoenix.