SOLDERING a Deans Connector

A place to learn more about Electric RC Flying.
retiredVTT

SOLDERING a Deans Connector

Unread post by retiredVTT » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:19 am

For those that need help to solder connectors...

Google "soldering Deans connectors" and up comes a dozen videos on this subject..

Check out this thread to bring back memories of your first solder job..
http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/fg28 ... -help.html

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Enforcer

Re: SOLDERING a Deans Connector

Unread post by Enforcer » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:24 am

Yep... that's how I learned. But I just recently learned from Bill that I was using an iron that was too low in Watts and therefore not hot enough to make the solder "flow" as it should.
Murray Wheten

“My philosophy, like color television, is all there in black and white”
Monty Python

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:19 pm

Yeah,,,some people use a little 40 Watt iron....it's marginal, if there is a draft it can cool down....a 60W or 80W is better....my little Weller gun has two levels, 100W and 140W...and I'm usually operating on 140W...you get in there fast and hot, flow that solder and back on out..! Done..! Next!

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:32 pm

YOU GOTTA READ THIS...! (Yes, I'm Shouting..!!!)

This is an answer in regard to a problem which I think was .. "an intermittent loss of power"..however it doesn't matter what the problem was...it's the info given in the reply (by Lucien of Scorpion Motors) that is good stuff to know..

Bill

"If you had a complete failure of the power system with the Program Cut-off Type set to 50% power reduction, then that points to a problem with the battery. I have seen this happen a few times before, and in each case it was a faulty connection in a Deans plug. Don't get me wqrong, I am not Knocking Deans plugs at all! They make a great connector, and when properly soldered, they perform better than just about anything on the market.

Where the problem usually occurs is in a "Clone" Deans plug that is made from an inferior plastic material. The "Real" Deans plugs are made from a reinforced high temperature plastic that holds up well to the temperatures of soldering. Some of the Clones are made from glass filled nylon, which is fine, but some are made from cheaper poly-propylene plastice which do not hold up well to heat.

Whenever you solder a Deans type connector together, you should always take a extra mating connector and put the two pieces together before you solder to the tabs. The extra connector serves 2 purposes. First, it maintains the alignment of the contacts so they cannot slide around if you get the plastic too hot, and second, the mating connector acts as a heat sink to absorb the extra heat, and keep the connector from melting in the first place.

If one of the contacts gets bent out of position due to overheating during the soldering process, instead of making contact across the entire surface, you can end up with a situation where you only have contact along one edge of the contact. If this happens, and you tweak the connector just right, you can completely lose contact inside the connector, even though they are plugged tightly together.

I would take a look at this area to see if there is a problem."
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708