Substitute for a Retract Servo

A place to learn more about Electric RC Flying.
Enforcer

Substitute for a Retract Servo

Unread post by Enforcer » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:43 pm

I have been searching the web for a "specific" answer to the following question and can't find it. Can I use a regular servo in place of a Retract Servo? In other words, if I use a good quality "metal gear" servo with a high torque rating in place of a retract servo, am I going to be "unhappy" when landing my Grey Nurse or my Ki-84?

Keep in mind that I have a very short attention span, so keep it simple please! :D Links to sites that refer to physics and math equations will only serve to confuse me further. :lol:

Thanks guys!
Murray Wheten

“My philosophy, like color television, is all there in black and white”
Monty Python

retiredVTT

Re: Substitute for a Retract Servo

Unread post by retiredVTT » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:30 am

Well, search no mor' sonny...the answer is yes you could and no you will not be happy..!

a retract servo is full on or full off ...in simpler words "continuous" ...as in "not proportional".
because most pilots like their wheels either fully up or fully down.

OK..after writing the above...even though it's 1:30 AM I had to go to the hangar and check this out further...and I was wrong (sort of)..

Yes you can use the regular servo as a retract servo, but you can't use a retract servo as a regular servo since it's movement is NOT proportional.
I have a genuine retract servo and I find that it's continuous movement is a slower movement overall....so you may find when using a regular servo as a retract servo that the wheels sort of slam up and slam down. There are "slow down devices" that get plugged in between the servo and a receiver to do just that..slow down the servo movement speed.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

steve

Unread post by steve » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:48 am

I misread your question and thought it was asking if servo can be made into a retract...

Steve
Last edited by steve on Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Steve

AndrewS

Unread post by AndrewS » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:22 am

Don't retract servos travel farther than regular ones? ie 180 deg instead of 90.

Andrew
Andrew Smith,
HEFA 3
MAAC 76250

yorcram

Unread post by yorcram » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:50 am

yes, retract do travel further.
Plane Crazey :D

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:40 am

So Far I have the following answers...

1) Yes
2) No
3) Don't do it!
4) 180 degrees confirmed (actually, some travel only 125 degrees)

But, can I use a regular servo as retract servo? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let me give you some more information to help answer my question. The retracts I am refering to are "mechanical" and they come with the two models I want to use them with... the Hyperion Grey Nurse and Ki-84. I don't know if some third party makes these retract so I can't give you any particular specs on them other that they are make of aluminium and Errol was impressed with how well they were made. Also, they are actuated by "one" servo in these models.

So, am I correct in assuming that I better find a distributor that has the Retract Servo that is suggested by the manufacturer, which is a ... WAYPOINT W-150MGR Precision Micro 16 Gram METAL GEAR RETRACT Servo 125°?

Thanks!
Murray Wheten

Monty Python

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:50 am

Wannta buy that exact servo from me....I have one..!
Oops..mine is a Waypoint W-150MRS ..let me check to see the differance..

Later...Well, as per usual..I can't find the differance..mine must be older..I emailed ACW in Japan to ask them..
This one is a silver colored 15 gram metal geared retract servo....maybe you should "borrow it"..see if it does the job..

Hey..check out the three reviews written about this servo....they would appear to be written by the same person..who says "don't buy this servo..it'll burn up you plane".
I'm surprised a company would let this sit on the front page of their site without at least a response..!

http://www.quietrcflying.com/ProductInf ... d=W-150MGR

One final thing...I see the picture on the above website is MY servo (150MRS)...the name is 150MGR...therefore I think we can conclude that they are identical in all but the nomenclature...! (I love that word...don't use it enough..!)

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:22 pm

Ya... I read that guys coments as well. Three posts about the same servo being "no good". Thanks for the offer to borrow the one you have to see if it works. I'll let you know if I need to do that.
Murray Wheten

Monty Python

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:25 pm

Ok, Murray...I just added a comment to my above post...that I think proves that the two servos are identical..!

I'll put it in my Lift-N-Lock flight box..for our next "showdown at shannon" ...!

LATER EDIT...yup, heard back from ACW in Japan ...same servo..two different "nomenclatures"..!

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708