LiPo Safety - A Refresher

A place to learn more about Electric RC Flying.
bdg

LiPo Safety - A Refresher

Unread post by bdg » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:36 pm

I know that we have all seen the scary videos of LiPo batteries catching on fire. I normally think of this as happening mostly during charging and the BALANCE charging as a good means of reducing the risk (as compared to using the CHARGE mode on your charger, which does not use the balance ports).

This is another video for your files.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF9fhlr ... e=youtu.be

They are suggesting that the battery was at low voltage and was just "sitting" there and spontaneously ignited. Scary.

I have seen puffing of a fully-charged battery in hot weather (say left in a car) which is very similar to over-stressing your batteries during flight.

The sealed metal ammo boxes remain among the best ways to store the batteries.

Brian

JohnOSullivan

Re: LiPo Safety - A Refresher

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:14 pm

Says a lot for having a fire extinguisher close to your charging station.
I have had a number of fires, none due to charging, but due to careless storage of batteries. One was a 370mah catch on fire in my pocket when it shorted on a coin.
Treat those LiPoly batteries with respect and you will not have problems. Never charge without a balance charger.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

retiredVTT

Re: LiPo Safety - A Refresher

Unread post by retiredVTT » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:37 pm

I keep mine in those "sealed ammo boxes"...but guess what...this week I read that I should either drill a vent hole or remove some of the rubber sealing tape in the lid. Theory is that having the tin box sealed shut just allows the pressure to build to the point where the resulting explosion not only takes out the house but perhaps the neighbours on each side. Really..? If there is a limited amount of air inside a box containing say six 5S 4000mah packs, how much force could be generated by the multiple rupture of these packs. Consider this your long weekend assignment, with answers due Tuesday morning..!

(professor) Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708