CA for "Hingeing"

A place to learn more about Electric RC Flying.
retiredVTT

CA for "Hingeing"

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:34 pm

I'm giving this "special flexible CA for hingeing", a try today.
It's a product from Bob Smith Industries (BSI) that I picked up from Mar Hobbies awhile back.

(I believe full curing takes up to 1 hour. What I want to see is if when cured I don't have to flex the control surface as much to free it up as I seem to have to do with regular CA).

..here is the blurb on it;

This is a one ounce bottle of Bob Smith Industries INSTA-FLEX™ Flexible Thin CA Glue. INSTA-FLEX™ flexible thin CA is ideal for many applications, including the installation of CA hinges. When cured, INSTA-FLEX™ does not turn brittle and remains clear, even if accelerated with INSTA-SET™. It has superior shock resistance. Although not as thin in consistency as INSTA-CURE™, INSTA-FLEX™ still has good penetrating qualities and its application can be easier to control. For CA hinges, we recommend drilling a 1/16" hole in the center of the hinge slots to insure the complete saturation of the hinge when INSTA-FLEX™ is applied. INSTA-FLEX™ has a different, less irritating odor compared to regular CA's, but still can not be used on white foam. INSTA-FLEX™ has also proven to be superior when bonding anodized aluminum.

Bill
Attachments
bsi119.jpg
bsi119.jpg (8.05 KiB) Viewed 1763 times
Last edited by retiredVTT on Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

nunyabizniss34

Re: CA for "Hingeing"

Unread post by nunyabizniss34 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:38 pm

Funny you should mention this Bill. I used the little CA hinges on my Sea Fury today and ended up ripping them out of the rudder (don't ask). Thin CA seems to make them too stiff and brittle. Might give this a try.

Colin
Colin
Parkzone Sport Cub
Eflite Timber Turbo
Trex 470L
Goblin 420
Mikado Logo 550

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:49 pm

Hey Colin...you were posting as I was editing...yeah..this stuff might be the answer. I'm working on a "delicate" Stevens-Aero Groove and the hinges are small..just 3/8" wide..and the tail surfaces are only 1/8" thick so that's not much to play with. Probably could use tape only, but you get a nicer look with the hinges if it goes right.

I picked up a neat "pin vice" from Geoff so I'll drill the 1/16" holes in the hinge slots with it and see how it all comes out.

I was thinking about going to Shannon this morning and getting that motor from you, but the TV won out...!

I think Duster (Ken) is planning on coming to Shannon next Saturday to pick up some motors from me so maybe we will catch you then.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

nunyabizniss34

Unread post by nunyabizniss34 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:25 pm

No worries on the motor Bill, it's in my toolbox.

I actually ditched the CA hinges for something else...I cut some strips off a Becel container lid (strong, yet very flexible plastic) and epoxied them into the fin and rudder. Worked better than I thought it would, plus it was free :D
Colin
Parkzone Sport Cub
Eflite Timber Turbo
Trex 470L
Goblin 420
Mikado Logo 550

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:17 pm

Just a small suggestion..in the remote chance that the epoxy were to relax (let go) in future...if you had at least one pin (either an actual metal dress pin or a toothpick) down through the control surface and the hinge material in each end...nothing should ever leave the plane.

I saw a short vid where a guy doesn't even use glue at the hinge line...but puts three pins down through each side with a touch of glue on them.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

nunyabizniss34

Unread post by nunyabizniss34 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:52 pm

Good point Bill. I will do that too. Thanks!
Colin
Parkzone Sport Cub
Eflite Timber Turbo
Trex 470L
Goblin 420
Mikado Logo 550