Scorpion Saves My Favorite Plane....

A place to learn more about Electric RC Flying.

Scorpion Saves My Favorite Plane....

New postby bdg on Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:23 pm

Smaller crowd at SP this morning, due in part to the activities at the Windsor field. While flying my favorite plane - with likely well over 1000 flights since 2013 - and actually speaking of the accolades of the Visionaire at the time - I hear a "pop" across the field and no motor power is available. I glide it in for a landing and confirm that the motor is not operational.

I am fortunate to have a Scorpion Battery Backup in the plane.... in turning this OFF all control is gone... no control surfaces and no motor. I turn the Scorpion back ON and voila - there are my surfaces again and still no motor. Scorpion OFF and the plane is dead. I measure the battery voltage - lots of juice left. My conclusion is that both the ESC and integrated BEC have failed. I am sure that if I hadn't had the Scorpion, that the plane would have hit the ground out of control.

So.... I wanted to share my experience. Highly recommended. These have a 2S battery that provides 5VDC to the receiver / surfaces in the event of a BEC malfunction. Again - this saved my plane.

These have been available at RotorQuest (https://www.rotorquest.com/scorpion-pow ... ckup-Guard) or GreatHobbies in the past. I expect that Geoff at MSC could also get them in....!

Now to do some more troubleshooting and replacement of the ESC in time for tomorrow morning....!!!!

Brian
Attachments
scorpion.JPG
scorpion.JPG (22.03 KiB) Viewed 43 times
bdg

Re: Scorpion Saves My Favorite Plane....

New postby bdg on Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:32 pm

Well.... it turns out that the problem was one of the simplest possible... the 40A ESC has a EC3 connector and my batteries are XT60... so I have an adapter between the two. The wire on the +ive lead had broken off...

In hindsight, I should have checked that prior to removing the front end of the plane!!!

Still... the Scorpion saves the day!
Attachments
xt60_ec3.jpg
bdg

Return to HEFA "RC University"