Slope Fest 2018 - Saturday 18 August

News related to Halifax Electric Flyers Association only.
CF Av8or

Slope Fest 2018 - Saturday 18 August

Unread post by CF Av8or » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:27 am

It's time again for the slope soaring event of the year!

Event info can be found at the MAAC Events page: http://www.maac.ca/en/events_details.ph ... nt_id=6082

Stay tuned here for any weather updates as the weekend approaches.
Slope Fest 2018 Poster - reduced.jpg

JohnOSullivan

Re: Slope Fest 2018 - Saturday 18 August

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:03 am

Weather forecast is very bad for Saturday and Sunday.
Saturday
Winds 20-30 kph from SSE to SSW Gusts to 43kph
Rain and Thunderstorms
Rain all day with 80-97% probability of precip.

Sunday
Overcast with Winds 20 kph from NNE to ENE (wrong direction)

Looks like it may be a washout.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:49 pm

Actually folks, as of tonight, it looks like Saturday is potentially a go.

The winds are forecast to be strong southwest, which is perfect for the Lawrencetown slope. Sunday, as you said John, is forecast to be northeast all day - totally unsuitable for sloping.

I am hoping that the rain will hold off on Saturday until later in the day (as one of my forecasts is indicating), allowing us a good part of the day for flying.

Stay tuned for the final call tomorrow!

chansen

Unread post by chansen » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:21 pm

Hi guys,
We are coming anyway, see you tomorrow afternoon.
Cato.

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:06 am

Well, looks like the New Brunswick gang are coming hell or high water (or both). The other issue with postponing is the conflict with other events.

So..... looks like we will hope for the best for tomorrow - that being that the rain holds off enough to get at least half a day of sloping before it starts. The good news is that the winds (direction and speed) will be perfect all day.

I'll continue to monitor the weather, but bottom line is - Slope Fest is a go for Saturday, with an early start to beat the rain.

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:45 am

Get out your boots and Southwesters. Hopefully rain will hold off.
At least there should not be fog. Car is loaded.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:09 pm

Just to confirm: The 2018 Slope Fest is a GO for tomorrow, Saturday 18 August!

The forecasts are not in agreement, but the most accurate one I use, the Nav Canada aviation forecast is not calling for any precipitation until at least 3 pm. I therefore suggest that everyone arrive early in case the rain does start sooner, as the south westerlies will be blowing from early morning right through the day.

The New Brunswick gang are arriving to camp out at my place in West Lawrencetown this afternoon. A lunch of hot dogs and sausages will be served at the slope at noon tomorrow, so bring a few coins for donations towards the food and drink.

See you at the slope!!

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:47 pm

Well, Mother nature gave us a break today at Lawrencetown.
At 9am winds were very light from the ESE which was a bit oblique to the hill and barely enough to support the lightest models. By 10am the wind had picked up to 10-15 kph and moved a bit further to the south southeast 10am making things good for light models. As the morning moved on the wind strengthened to 20 kph and became more southerly, perfect for the medium to heavy models. Skies were overcast with no sign of rain whatsoever.These conditions continued to about 2 pm when a little fog and light rain started. Of course by 4pm the predicted heavy rain arrived, but we all had our fix by then.

Attendence was surprisingly good with about 20-25 fliers and upwards of 50 models. I am sure the miserable weather forecast made an impact on numbers, but those who came out had one of the most entertaining and enjoyable slope sessions we have ever had. It was not unusual to see 8-10 models airborne together.

Our local fliers were Pleased to welcome the half dozen Fliers who made the long trip from Saint John despite the horrible weather forecast. They are a fun group and added greatly to the Slope Fest.

The only downer of the day was a midair on the last flight between Alain from Saint John and John O'S. Both models were extensively damaged. Alain Had new state of the art moulded model and john had his Magellan moulded model.
Attachments
P1100742R.JPG
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:18 pm

Looks like a great success!!! I am disappointed that I stayed away due to what I thought would be lots of rain...made the decision Friday night based on the forecast and was recovering from three nights at Keji. And what is worse than camping in the rain, you might ask? How about a sick 12 year old at 2am and packing the car for the hospital which is an hour away....... luckily after a call to 811 and a little time the issues passed and the trip was not required.... but that sure is when you recognize that you are in a remote location.....

A good article on Facebook from Al Eastman:
https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.p ... 9674514903

Thanks, Al, for the coverage!!!

Brian

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:14 pm

Al published a link on the SW webpage, which I am copying here.

See below: http://www.asrcm.ns.ca/Slopefest_2018.html

Brian