Canada Day - 2018 - WE ARE A GO!!!

News related to Halifax Electric Flyers Association only.
bdg

Re: Canada Day - 2018 - Potential Display...

Unread post by bdg » Sat May 26, 2018 5:19 pm

John - right you are! I was using Google Maps for the measurement and just looking at the length of the main runway for my 65me estimate. I was trying to get an idea of how "tight" the ballfield would be, with the knowledge that we need to stay within the 100me range.
Attachments
Common_Measure.JPG
SP_Measure.JPG

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun May 27, 2018 2:05 pm

Would like to thank Steve W for his interest to support of this event too!!! Chris H is also a tentative.

Again, I recognize that plans can change for anyone but with enough of a "pool" of people we should be able to cover this event!!!

Thanks to everyone that expressed interest to support this community event!

Brian

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:38 pm

**Update**

This is a developing event and the proposed field location has changed slightly. It looks like the hot air balloon and the gliders are not participating. See the attached revised map. You will also notice that the status display is closer to the main field.

In addition, HRM have re-confirmed that they are able to provide us with 2 tables and a tent (shade!) for the static display, and a small PA to discuss MAAC, HEFA, the nature of the planes / control / motions, safety, repairs, etc. etc. during any flights of our demonstration smaller aircraft.

The flying space would be roughly 90me x 100me... but we would need to stay well within this zone for safety.

We are still working through some details for dropping off our equipment, parking, etc.

Stay tuned. Thanks to those that have tentatively agreed to support this event. There is still time for others to participate as well...!!!!

Brian
Attachments
Family Fun Fest - June 7.jpg

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:24 am

Any update on the Display. Will there be flying or just all static?
What about Chuck gliders for the kids or is this still "TOO DANGEROUS"
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:03 pm

John - We have both a static and live demo planned for this event. We have passed along our MAAC insurance certificates to HRM. As we have discussed, there are just a few concerns regarding these small flyers from the HRM coordinator. No one wants there to be any problems and this is the world that we are living in.

I am confident that we can make this work, but the giving of such planes to kids will need to be coordinated. We have been asked for any launches to take place on the field - essentially at the same time assignment as our live demo. For this, as we have a larger field, we could plan for this while we are flying a UMX and use a very small corner for any hand launches - while still flying the UMX but by keeping these well separated. The other option would be to cease a live demo sooner and to switch to the hand launches. My preference is for the former option.

So, if you want to proceed, then we can make it happen, John.

Brian

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:42 pm

WE ARE A GO FOR NEXT WEEKEND!!!!

It's not to late to help to participate in this event - what a great opportunity to share our fun hobby with the greater HRM community!!! Any amount of time would be appreciated - especially in the 1pm to 3pm time range (our live demo is currently scheduled for 1pm-2pm).

This is the latest from HRM:
Hello everyone,

We are a little over one-week out from our July 1st program, the Maple Lodge Farms Family Fun Fest at the Emera Oval. I wanted to take this time to give everyone involved an overview of the program, load in times and some logistical things to note to ensure we have a smooth event day. Not everything in this e-mail will apply to you, but if you take some time to read through this document there shouldn’t be any surprises on the day of the event. If there are any surprises, or if you have additional questions, PLEASE CONTACT ME. Even if you don’t have questions, if you could confirm receipt of this e-mail that it would also be greatly appreciated.

WHAT:

Maple Lodge Farm Family Fun Fest
Part of the Halifax-Dartmouth Canada Day Celebrations

WHEN:

Load In – 8:00am – 10:00 am. EVERYONE MUST BE IN PLACE by 10:00 am.
Programming is from 11:00am – 4:00 pm
Vending is 11:00am – 4:30pm
Load Out – 4:00pm – 5:00 pm
Cogswell St closure – 6:00am – 6:00pm

WHERE:

Emera Oval on the Halifax Commons. Civic Address is 5775 Cogswell St, Halifax, NS B3K 4B2.

WHY:

This is a low-cost / no-cost program provided by the Halifax Regional Municipality to celebrate our National Holiday, Canada Day.

WHO:

This program is put on by the Halifax Regional Municipality in partnership with our community committee, Halifax-Dartmouth Canada Day Committee and the International Tattoo. The title sponsor of this event is Maple Lodge Farms.

THE PROGRAM:

11:00 am Food vendors open
11:00 am – 11:30 am North America Big Brass Band Plays
11:30 am – 12:30 am SKYHAWKS Airshow
12:00 pm All passive program groups start up & bouncy attractions inflate.
12:00 pm – 12:30pm Canada Day Cakes
1:00 pm – 2:00 pm Model Planes in Airshow
1:30 pm – 2:00 pm Dog Show #1
2:00 pm – 2:30 pm K9 Meet and Greet
2:30 pm – 3:00 pm K9 Dog Show #2
2:00 pm – 3:00pm Drones in Airshow
3:00 pm – 4:00 pm Kites Airshow
4:00 pm All programming shuts down
4:30 pm Food vendors shut down

SITE MAP:

I’ve attached two site maps for your information. One is about the road closure on Cogswell Street so that you can plan your approach. Keep in mind the road is closed from 6am – 5pm.

LOGISTICS:

Please e-mail me and let me know of your table and chair requirements. I’ve also offered a tent to some groups, but not all. Let me know all the supplies you require one last time to make sure we don’t miss anything.

ON-SITE CONTACT:

Michael Kelly – 902-476-8598 or 902-240-6453

PARKING:

There is some parking available on Cogswell Street. Let me know if you are in need of a parking spot. I cannot guarantee you a spot, but if you let me know you need one, then I can send you a pass. YOU CANNOT park on Cogswell without getting a pass from me in advance. These opportunities are for load-in / load-out vehicles. If you are able to walk, and do not have supplies please find alternative parking. The military will be using up most of Cogswell.

CODE OF CONDUCT:

Please use common sense! Be professional and appropriate as families and children are present. If you get asked a question by the public, answer to the best of your ability, but don’t make stuff up! If it’s a serious issue, contact me right away! There is security on-site as well as police on Cogswell if needed.

FOOD AND DRINK AVAILABLE:

There will be water for participants for you housed at the Oval. This water is not for the general public. There are several food and drink vendors on-site to purchase food.

INSURANCE:

If you have not sent your proof of liability insurance to us yet, please do this ASAP. We need ‘Halifax Regional Municipality’ listed as additionally insured on your certificate. (This is no additional cost).

That’s all I can think of at this point, but if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me. I’ll also ask that you e-mail me back to confirm receipt of this e-mail.

Thanks again to everyone for being involved with this program!

MK
Attachments
Family Fun Fest - July 1  FINAL MAP.JPG

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:18 pm

Without a positive response from the committee on the small gliders, there is no reason to build any for the kids. TOO Bad as they are perfect for an event like this, and would present no safety hazzard.
What size models should we bring and are HEFA doing the drone part or do they have others lined up? I presume for the Kites they have others lined up.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:52 pm

John - I would suggest that there is a positive response from HRM but only for a specific aspect - and that is that any distribution / launches need to take place in a sectioned off flight demo area - during our 1 hour of time between 1pm and 2pm. They do not want them to be launched into the crowd.

The drones are outside of our involvement. I am not sure who is coordinating that aspect. But that should not stop us from bringing along a quad (small from demo; potentially larger for static) purposes as this would be within our typical equipment at HEFA.

Brian

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:45 am

Well, as we have not received a definite acceptance of the giving out of these tiny free flight gliders, it is now too late to build them.
I have however built 6 of them and will bring them along on Sunday and we can fly them.
Here's a shot of some being built at one of our courses.
Attachments
JA26#001.JPG
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:11 pm

I am happy to report that Cato, our Atlantic Zone Director with MAAC, will be participating with us at this event!!

Also - looking for any final tally for people available to help - or if there might have been changes. Feel free to PM me or to email HalifaxElectricFlyers@outlook.com.

The weather is looking hot - bring your sunscreen!!!!

Brian