Canada Day - 2018 - WE ARE A GO!!!

News related to Halifax Electric Flyers Association only.
bdg

Re: Canada Day - 2018 - Potential Display...

Unread post by bdg » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:03 pm

Here is another quick update as of June 28.....
  • HRM have provided us with some parking passes and this will make access to the site much much easier. These are for parking on Cogswell Street which is otherwise closed to the public. We will be able to park and be close to the site. Please PM or email me at HalifaxElectricFlyers@outlook.com and we will distribute these as possible and (obviously) cannot have duplicates. Note that these will need to be printed and must be displayed to gain access and left on your dash.
  • There is the "slim" possibility that one of the other groups will not be able to participate. This potentially opens up our live flying display from 1 hr to possibly as much as 1.5 hrs. What a fantastic opportunity to represent our great club and hobby!
  • There has been some concerns from the public and then from Transport Canada regarding the suitability for such a live display in this venue. We are fully compliant with TC as this is a MAAC santioned event and we have permission from HRM. All insurance certificates have been provided. But... this also underscores the importance of safety and responsibility from all of our participants - which I know we will achieve.
  • We'll have two tables and a tent covering for our static display. These will be set-up by HRM in advance of our arrival. This will be used for our brochures, a collection of planes, etc.
  • We've purchased some 60 little foam throw planes - wingspan of maybe 6-7", and weighing in at <2 grams. No power and no elastics. Hopefully these will brighten someone's day! Typical travel distances seem to be less than 10'. These will supplement any that John / Andrew might be able to bring along.
  • We've purchased more 8-1/2" x 11" brochures representing HEFA - who were are, where we are located, information regarding MAAC, etc. These are a very slight revision to those used at the Shearwater Hobby Show.
  • I have the HEFA banner and MAAC windsock. Cato is also bringing a few MAAC swag items.
That's about all for now. I'm planning to be there for roughly 10:00-10:30am to allow enough time for set-up.

Questions? Let me know!!!

And the more members that are able to participate and to promote the club and this great hobby, the better. I believe that crowds in excess of 5000 are expected at the event!!!

Brian

bdg

Re: Canada Day - 2018 - WE ARE A GO!!!

Unread post by bdg » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:52 am

This is all starting to shape up nicely....! Thanks to everyone that has volunteered to support this event - we could not pull it off without you!!!!

And please - for others "on the fence" - there is still room for more participation. We will happily accept any time that you can provide - an hour, two hours, or perhaps the entire day...! Just let me know.

Our list of participants thus far:
  • Rick M
  • Andrew S
  • Andrew C
  • John O'S
  • Stephen R
  • Steve W
  • John F
  • Brian G
  • Cato H
Please let me know if I have missed anyone...or, again, if you can help out.

I believe that HRM is providing water to some of the participants but I will bring along a cooler as well for us. There are food trucks too and I am sure that HEFA can support a reasonable lunch for our participants - just keep your receipt :D

Thanks again - everyone - for your support of this event........!!!!

Brian

rhyneheimer

Unread post by rhyneheimer » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:47 pm

hey guys, just a bit of clarification for my part, if it helps - between my bad head pressure and the the heatwave, i'm playing it by ear a bit, but i live very nearby and hope to come watch the Skyhawks, attend our HEFA event, and stick around for the kites - will bring a couple of backyard foamies and maybe a quad-line kite - if i'm not feeling up to it, i'll just hang out and spectate - looking fwd to seeing everyone

guessing there will be a light to medium SW sea breeze on the Commons
Steve Ryan -
HEFA/MAAC pilot, slope soaring fanatic, electric enthusiast -
I am not a drone

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:01 pm

Hi Steve:
If you need to be picked up or any other transportation give me a call at 902 471 1989.
Will be good to see you on your home turf.
John O'S
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:07 pm

Just a reminder to everyone to make sure that you have your name and contact details in your planes.... this is a requirement of MAAC (although I am having a tough time finding it on the site).

Questions? Let me know!!

Brian

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:09 pm

Well.... I must say that I am thoroughly impressed by the dedication of our members. BIG SHOUT OUT to Rick M, Steve W, Brian W, John O'S, John F, Andrew C, Andrew S, and Steve R. We would not have been able to participate in this event without your help.

Also - a big thank you to Cato H and to James, who was participating with his DLG from the Moncton area. Quite a demonstration there!!!

I will attach some pics but have these on FB at the moment.... https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 4971fe6d0b

Thanks again!
Attachments
IMG_2997.jpg
IMG_2996.jpg
IMG_2995.jpg
IMG_2994.jpg
IMG_2993.jpg
Last edited by bdg on Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:14 pm

A few more....
Attachments
IMG_2999.jpg
IMG_3000.jpg
IMG_3001.jpg

AndrewS

Unread post by AndrewS » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:42 pm

Great day
Congratulations to our own John O'Sullivan, Cato presented him with his MAAC Leader membership today.

Andrew
Andrew Smith,
HEFA 3
MAAC 76250

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:54 pm

What a wonderful Day to celebrate Canada's 151st Birthday. It was a pleasure for HEFA to be invited by HMR to participate in the festivities in a very positive manner. The display area was very good but judging by the number of models, could have been twice as large.
Weather was perfect with winds almost calm and only occasionally reaching 5 kph. This made conditions very good for the airborne display with the smaller models.
Thanks to a very professional commentary throughout the display by Brian Gray, the public were given an excellent display of quite a variety of models. All models were flown very well and safely.

It was great to have Zone Director Cato Hansen present and Jim from Moncton had his state-of-the-art carbon International class Hand Launched sailplane. We also had a visit from one of the Vancouver Sailplane guys who was on vacation.

Well done to all the participants, you surely lived up to expectations and I am sure convinced HRM of the positive contribution of Model Flying to the City.
Attachments
P1100700R.JPG
P1100696R.JPG
P1100697R.JPG
P1100695R.JPG
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:04 pm

Keep 'em coming!!! All - there is also a video linked on FB's HEFA page - from Brian W. Great capture of the event and fantastic footage from his demo flight. Impressive!!!!!

Skyhawks: https://www.facebook.com/Brian.D.Watters

https://www.facebook.com/HalifaxElectricFlyers/