Field Emergency

News related to Halifax Electric Flyers Association only.
retiredVTT

Field Emergency

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:47 pm

On Saturday, October 28th, 2017, we had an emergency at our Shannon field that required a 911 call for an ambulance. The first question asked was..."what it the Civic Address..?" No one knew. So Here it is:

CIVIC ADDRESS FOR THE SHANNON PARK SCHOOL is 75 IROQUOIS DRIVE, DARTMOUTH, NS

Keep in mind that the next available ambulance may be one from out of town that just dropped off a patient and was returning.

The other item we learned from this experience is that it would help if all members would keep CONTACT INFO in their respective flight box or transmitter case. A simple "in event of an emergency" contact this person at this phone number will keep us from having to go through your wallets looking for info, because if your unconscious, your not helping any one.

cheers,
Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

JohnF

Re: Field Emergency

Unread post by JohnF » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:32 pm

Fantastic advice Bill. I am going to put my contact info in my transmitter box.

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:50 pm

Without going into details, problem was a drop in blood pressure due to dehydration and skipping breakfast. Problem is now 100% solved.
A Big Thank You for the quick and positive action by all. They kept me overnight just to monitor me and kicked me out next morning, just too late to go to Shannon.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

rhyneheimer

Unread post by rhyneheimer » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:21 pm

good ideas Bill, and good news John, but the important thing is did you have any cute nurses? :)
Steve Ryan -
HEFA/MAAC pilot, slope soaring fanatic, electric enthusiast -
I am not a drone

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:48 pm

John, it's good to hear all is well.
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

Tom B T-28

Unread post by Tom B T-28 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:50 pm

A scary event to have to go through I'm sure for everyone! Glad everything turned out OK John and you got back on your feet in short order!
Tom

JohnF

Unread post by JohnF » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:21 pm

I not only put in my medical info contact person, I put in my family physician, her office location,and the types of prescription drugs I am on. This will help the first responders big time.

Ivan

Unread post by Ivan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:40 pm

good to hear your ok knew you would be hope to see you soon john

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:13 pm

Just got word that John O' had a similar incident happen today at the Shearwater indoor event. Paramedics were called and they took him to hospital.

Once again I will repeat that if a member is taking daily medicine for a condition, it would be advisable to put this info on a card along with "contact info" and insert this card into your transmitter battery location so that if the member is unconscious, this info can be passed along to paramedics.

thanks,
Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:55 pm

Yes it happened again. Low blood pressure. They monitored me out for four hours and could not find anything wrong. Looks like I'll have to cut down or eliminate my blood pressure medicine. Can't have medication interfering with flying. I'm home and doing well.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26