Slope Fest 2017!

News related to Halifax Electric Flyers Association only.
Ghost Flyer

Re: Slope Fest 2017!

Unread post by Ghost Flyer » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:30 am

We had a great time at the "get together", at Vic's and Mary's place last night. It was comfortably warm outside with zero mosquitos. I counted over 20 people. Thank you Vic and Mary!

This year, the Slope Fest is dedicated to Tom Foote's memory. On Sunday afternoon, at some point, there will be a special dedication for Tom, with his family present. I will fly Tom's Spectra. I'll also look into doing a special flight with my Funcub, over the slope and ocean, like we did for Tony at SP, several years ago.

Hope to see everyone there.
Andrew
Andrew C.

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:09 am

Checked on conditions.
From 12 Noon winds 10 to 14 Kph with gusts to over 20 kph from South and southwest, rather similar to yesterday. Should be prefect for lightweight models.
Shannon this morning Lawrencetown this afternoon, in warm sunny summer conditions. Who could ask for anything more in late September
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

AndrewS

Unread post by AndrewS » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:34 pm

Good time today even thought the wind didn't cooperate til 3ish and the mosquitos were nuts.
Very nice tribute to Tom Foote with his family on hand.
A big THANKS to Vic and Mary for their efforts again this year.

Andrew
Andrew Smith,
HEFA 3
MAAC 76250

RocketManRC

Unread post by RocketManRC » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:42 pm

DSC00882.JPG
Rick MacDonald
May you live in interesting times!

Scooterboy

Unread post by Scooterboy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:16 pm

Vic & Mary deserve a big thank you.
Even though the wind did not co-operate until after 3 in the afternoon, there was still a very impressive turn out for the Slopefest 2017.
As soon as the wind did switch the air was filled with gliders, and yes it kept the mosquitoes at bay as well. Too bad most of the folks had left.
The bonfire was great fun. I think everybody had a few laughs & enjoyed everyone's company.
The tribute to Tom Foote was very fitting & very considerate. Thanks Andrew, Chris, Vic & John.

I hope to see y'all at the slope sometime soon.
Kevin Baker

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:48 pm

Always an excellent "slopefest", when the true diehard slopers get together annually at Lawrencetown.

To the many fliers to whom I passed out what I thought was "bug spray"....please accept my apologies...it was indeed "sun screen" in a pretty yellow can!

Thanks again to Vic and Mary, for a great day..!

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:37 pm

All ended well!
Having flown at Shannon Park in the morning, I arrived at Lawrencetown at 12:30 to find a large group with nobody flying. Wind was about 12kph from east, which would not work for the main slope. However the east slope was fine but you needed electric power to reach it over the stand of trees on the east of the bluff. a 4 second climb with my 3.2m Pulsar got me into the lift there. Jeremy Dann also worked that slope. A few other electrics were flown without slope assistance.

There was a surprisingly good turnout despite the "on-again-off-again" weather situation over the past month. Representation from the Valley and other clubs was the best we've seen to date and of course a couple of the stalwarts from New Brunswick were present.

Andrew Curran sprung a surprise on us with a memorial to our sadly missed sailplane guru Tom Foote, who died earlier this year. It was a pleasure to have in attendance Tom's wife and family. Tom's ashes were released over the slope where he had so many flying hours. It was nice to have him back on the slopes of Lawrencetown again. Within a half hour of spreading Tom's ashes, the winds switched to SSE at about 12 kph, which was perfect and they gradually increased to 20 kph by about 4:30 allowing everyone to fly. Tom must have fixed the wind for us.
Unfortunately, before the wind changed several of the fliers had to leave and if they had stayed they would surely have enjoyed the flying.
Around 5pm the fog rolled in and wind dropped, but not before some excellent flying was done.

This is the fifth year that Vic and Mary have organized the Slopefest and given the variability of weather conditions at Lawrencetown have come through in colours every time. Mary and Denise Baker excelled as usual in provision of top class refreshments.
Thanks to all who made this event work.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:07 pm

Post on RCCanada on Slopefest.
A number of us flew with Mike on Saturday
http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=520137
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

RocketManRC

Unread post by RocketManRC » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:51 pm

Here is a video of the nice tribute to Tom that Andrew and Chris did:

https://vimeo.com/235776362

Sorry I didn't have time to edit it but it doesn't really need it.
Rick MacDonald
May you live in interesting times!

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:06 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments, photos and videos posted.

In spite of the weather failing to cooperate until late in the day, I think that the event was a success if only for HEFA's opportunity to honour the memory of our friend and fellow flyer, Tom Foote, with our modest memorial at the hill, in the presence of Tom's family.

I would like to send a big thank you to our sponsor, Mighty Small Cars, for the main door prize. Thanks, Geoff! This was a very nice battery charger, which was won by our visiting friend from St John NB, Jim Lloyd, who quite generously then gave it to Andrew Curran, who was in need of a new charger.

I also want to send a special thank you to Mary and Denise for organizing the food and raffle draws and helping make the event a success.

Cheers,
Vic