2017 Porters Lake Ice Fly

News related to Halifax Electric Flyers Association only.
CF Av8or

2017 Porters Lake Ice Fly

Unread post by CF Av8or » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:42 pm

Hi Folks,

The winter flying event you've all been waiting for is coming...soon...! The waiting period is on for the first nice Saturday or Sunday that brings us good weather and flyable ice conditions.

For those who haven't been to one of these events hosted by Mary and I, it takes place on the frozen surface of Porters Lake in front of our house on Crowell Rd, East Lawrencetown. Planes of all descriptions (IC or electric), gliders, helicopters, rockets, and what have you that flies are all welcome. As per the poster, lunch and goodies will be provided.

Standby this station for updates as a potential date becomes evident.
2017 Ice Fly Poster.jpg

bdg

Re: 2017 Porters Lake Ice Fly

Unread post by bdg » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:36 pm

This sounds great! I missed it last year as I thought that the ice might be too thin....hopefully this year will draw even bigger numbers as it is a tremendous event!!

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:40 am

Looks like the wait continues, fellas.

Although the ice conditions are now good, the weather forecast for Sat and Sun is too cold and far too windy.

Here's hoping for next weekend....

Vic

saboo

Unread post by saboo » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:24 am

What about a weekday? Tuesday looks great temperature wise. Anyone have the wind forecast?

If we set the date, I bet a lot of people could be 'sick' of work that day or need a 'mental health day'.

I would just tell all my clients that I am booked that day, and schedule their needs for another day.

I thought you were going to retire Vic, and then you would have all the time needed for such adventures. That's what everyone says to me! Just can't make it happen. 8-)

Jim
Nothing like the smell of electrons in the morning ;-)

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:03 pm

Unfortunately, a weekday doesn't work for me. I'm only partially retired and I'm actually booked to fly (full-sized aircraft) all this week. I'm also pretty sure a weekday would end up excluding a lot of people who might otherwise like to attend.

I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed for the weekend of the 11th.

Vic

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:16 pm

I had high hopes for holding the event this weekend, but it does not look good so far.

There I still thick ice in front of my house, but the area of open water around my bay has increased dramatically over the last two days. There is still certainly sufficient room to fly, just not as much room for error should a plane get away from you. The very cold temps for the next few days will definitely help this situation. The problem with the weekend will be the wind, I think.

With 30 knot winds and a high of only -7, Saturday is not going to be suitable, not to mention the sad occasion of Tom Foote's funeral that day, which I plan to attend.

I'll withhold judgement about the suitability of Sunday until later...

Vic

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:34 pm

Due to the extremely cold weather and the frigid high winds, the Ice Fly is a no go for Sunday (tomorrow) as well.

The wind has wreaked havoc with the ice in front of my house, as it has caused the open water to extend further into my bay to the extent that the flyable area is much reduced.

But all is not lost! Kevin Baker, who lives up the lake, in an area that has all of it's ice intact, has offered to hold the event at his house should the weather permit in the next week or two.

So please continue to standby for continuing updates, and keep your fingers crossed for the weekend of 18 March.

Thanks,
Vic

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:08 pm

Thanks for the update Vic.

The general outlook for March 18th is very good right now. Very low wind with a plus 1 temperature on Saturday after a -6 temp Friday night, so if this forecasts holds, it might be ideal..!

I'll wait to Thursday night before getting Stubby down from the rafters for a once over (lub the bearings, check the receiver, kick the skis..!)

Looking forward to more airtime with Stubby...she doesn't get out much in her senior years..! (12 years and counting)

For those uninitiated, meet Stubby here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8&start=20

Bill
Last edited by retiredVTT on Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:37 pm

Yes, it is currently looking good for this coming weekend.

In fact, the entire lake has frozen over once again, and I'm quite certain that the ice in the bay in front of my place is very solid.

I'll provide an update later this week.

Vic

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:35 pm

Get ready folks - it is looking better all the time for the Ice Fly this coming Saturday!

The long range forecast is indicating fair weather and light winds. With the below freezing temps over the past few days and then returning after Wednesday afternoon, I am optimistic that the ice thickness in front of my place will be more than safe. It also appears that we will be getting more rain than snow along the coast tomorrow night, which will very nicely serve to smooth out the surface of the ice for an nice runway.

Stay tuned, and get your planes ready!

Vic