Search for new flying site

News related to Halifax Electric Flyers Association only.
JohnOSullivan

Search for new flying site

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:49 pm

I took a drive through the eastern extension of Burnside today and am impressed with the development.
What struck me most was the large areas which have been levelled and finished with fine gravel
The attached gogle shot shows the three largest areas and I have superimposed the area of Shannon Park on the map.
Obviously these areas will be eventually be built on, but for now they would make excellent flying fields. If we could do a deal with the owners we could possibly find a smooth area which could work as a runway. Nothing is happening between area 2 and area 3, maybe we could use the road as a runway.

On the immediate east of the access road in the east of the Main access road they are doing some serious contour landscaping over the cliffs of the old quarry and when finished there is a potential for a slope soaring site.
Attachments
GoogleEarth_Image.jpg
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

retiredVTT

Re: Search for new flying site

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:04 pm

Thanks John, for both posting this and for your initiative on the subject.
I wrote an email to the event coordinator of HRM and sent it on Sunday because they were asking what size of field we required as a flying site. I had suggested a couple of locations in my email and will bring this location up in future talks.

I was hoping to have more input to report at our AGM on Nov. 30th, however five minutes after I sent my email I got an "auto reply" that the person I was contacting was now on vacation until December 5th. Sometimes the gears of government turn slowly, so we will be patient.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:59 pm

A couple of Google Earth Street views of Area 1
No street Views of Areas 2 and 3
Attachments
Area 1 Looking west.jpg
Area 1 Looking northwest.jpg
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

Ivan

Unread post by Ivan » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:14 pm

hey john the site in the pic i flew my drone there a few times nice open space but really rocky as i now the ppl that work over at Cherubini metal works so landing planes is a no go unless your landing on the road its not buzy up there on Sundays but for now a few Friends and i been flying at the old baseball field that's at the end of Burnside drive (no one ever uses) not sure if it big enough for planes but

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:24 pm

This site in Bedford might have potential, looks big enough, but it looks rocky too.
Bedford site
Bedford site
site.JPG (44.13 KiB) Viewed 1764 times
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.