HEFA invite from SRCF for "Thanksgiving weekend"

News related to Halifax Electric Flyers Association only.
retiredVTT

HEFA invite from SRCF for "Thanksgiving weekend"

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:22 pm

Received this message this morning from Vic, President of the Shearwater RC Flyers;

Hi Bill,

On this sad last day of HEFA's flying at their home field at Shannon, I would like to extend an invitation, on behalf of the Shearwater RC Flyers, to all HEFA members.

SRCF would like to invite all of HEFA to come to a flying and BBQ social at the other "Metro flying field" in Shearwater next weekend. We wanted to give the HEFA members a chance to fly in HRM next weekend (free of charge) and to allow those who have not previously been there to enjoy our facility.

Cheers,
Vic

I got advanced notice of this Friday evening, so was able to share this with members who went to our PL field today as a work party. There is much interest and appreciation in this invite, so over the next week I 'll ask you to let us know if you can make it on Saturday, October 8th especially, as it would help with food preparation to have a "count".
As of today we know of eight members looking forward to this event, and that's mostly from the HEFA Directors plus a few.
So add your name here if your interested in flying off the black stuff, and partaking in the BBQ..!

thanks,
Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

AndrewS

Re: HEFA invite from SRCF for "Thanksgiving weekend"

Unread post by AndrewS » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:36 pm

I'm interested Bill.

Andrew
Andrew Smith,
HEFA 3
MAAC 76250

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:04 pm

Late today we received word that our lease with Canada Lands has been renewed until Dec 31/16. This relieves some pressure from HEFA regarding a close to the city flying field, however it just delays the inevitable,,,we will lose the Shannon field..!

So I have indicated to the SRCF guys that we would still like to come to their field Saturday, October 8th, and that we would be willing to bring some items for the BBQ. I'll keep you posted on this.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

AndrewS

Unread post by AndrewS » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:56 am

the Environment Canada long range forecast right now is calling for rain on Sat, So of course the Weather Network is calling for sun.
fingers crossed.

Andrew
Andrew Smith,
HEFA 3
MAAC 76250

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:46 am

Adam and I will be there but will have to leave at 11:30 so he can get t o a Cadet event so we may not be able to partake in the BBQ, depending on when it starts of course.
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:30 pm

Got word from Vic at SRCF this morning with congrats on the lease extension, and also stating that the "weekend at Shearwater" should go ahead anyway; if Saturday, Oct 8th, weather is foul, we will do the BBQ on Sunday. So spread the word, and let's have a large turnout..!

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:00 pm

AndrewS wrote:the Environment Canada long range forecast right now is calling for rain on Sat, So of course the Weather Network is calling for sun.
fingers crossed.

Andrew
have a look here: https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/she ... n=redirect

Saturday Oct 8th...not too bad, moderate wind, no presip...but then follow the trail , breezy on Sunday until midnight when a BOMB goes off with 72 Km gusts and 20C temperature along with 40mm of rain over the next six hours...batten down the hatches folks..!
Let's hope for a curve in the track, out to sea..!

LATER UPDATE: Looks like that curve out to sea might happen as the wind prediction has dropped big time, however looks like nearly 5 inches of rain between midnight Sunday and 12 noon Monday (Thanksgiving Day).

Bill
Last edited by retiredVTT on Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Scooterboy

Unread post by Scooterboy » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:42 pm

I guess I'll have to watch the HEFA site a bit closer, as I missed out on the Porters Lake field fix up.
It's just around the corner from me, and I've been flying there a couple of times this summer. I would've like to have lent a hand. Darn.

I plan on going to Shearwater on the 8th. Let's hope for good flying weather.
There's lots of room for everyone to fly. Not to mention that they are a great group of model enthusiasts.
Kevin Baker

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:15 pm

Weather looks spectacular for Saturday, October 8th, as of today (the 4th).

Sunshine and 20C, with a moderate wind of below 9 kms/hr...we'll take that..!

As usual, not much chatter here as to who's making the trek over to the SRCF runway.

Come on guys, we are all in this thing together. Tell me how many of those delicious sausages from Costco I need to bring..!

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

chodgkinson

Unread post by chodgkinson » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:32 am

You definitely can count me in Bill.

Chris