Porter's Lake - October 1 - Open for Business!!!

News related to Halifax Electric Flyers Association only.
bdg

Porter's Lake - October 1 - Open for Business!!!

Unread post by bdg » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:07 pm

We had a great work party today. Several keeners helping out with the trailer clean-up and field clearing. Special thanks to Bill, Andrew S, Mike C, John, Bob, Steve W and Stephen D. Light hands made light work and we were able to have lots of flights in near perfect conditions - warm and zero wind.

I have attached a few pictures of the field.

Again - it was great. Not as close as SP and it seems more restricted (but really isn't significantly for flight) and the trailer provides a spot for storage and warmth if required. Also a portable outhouse and BBQ which are also fantastic.

Hope to see you there!!!!

Brian
Attachments
DJI_0070.jpg
DJI_0069.jpg
DJI_0068.jpg
DJI_0067.jpg
DJI_0064.jpg
Last edited by bdg on Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

paulhughes

Re: Porter's Lake - October 1 - Open for Business!!!

Unread post by paulhughes » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:24 pm

bdg wrote:We had a great work party today. Several keeners helping out with the trailer clean-up and field clearing. Special thanks to Bill, Andrew S, Mike C, Jon, Bob, Steve W and Stephen D. Light hands made light work and we were able to have lots of flights in near perfect conditions - warm and zero wind.

I have attached a few pictures of the field.

Again - it was great. Not as close as SP and it seems more restricted (but really isn't significantly for flight) and the trailer provides a spot for storage and warmth if required. Also a portable outhouse and BBQ which are also fantastic.

Hope to see you there!!!!

Brian
Hi Brian what are the directions to this flying field.

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:51 pm

Paul - First of all, "Welcome Back"! I bet that the diving and weather were fantastic! Looking forward to hearing a story or two!

The field is roughly 20-25 mins from the SP field. Head out the #7 to the #107 and take exit 19. Turn right and watch for "Harmony Way" on the left. There is a large white sign that marks this road (excavating company) but it is currently covered by a tree.

I think that this link should work: https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.7174519, ... a=!3m1!1e3

Otherwise, I am also including a screen grab to hopefully help.

Brian
Attachments
PL Field.JPG

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:10 pm

Here is a link to (3) unedited (potentially boring!) videos from the Phantom, for those who might want to continue to survey the area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNvVXYsOPyc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPMI72yFN4s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWGv8ZHE49I

Some capture of the planes in the air!

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:19 pm

It was a great day to fly as well as be part of a work party.

Six of us arrived around 9;45 and emptied the trailer, washed down the walls, vacuumed the crude that had built up over the past couple of years (great Honda generator supplied by Brian, along with Shop Vac from Bob) and then we flew some, and then some more, then we put the storable items back inside, packed our planes and used the Club's dime to enjoy a great lunch at the local Tim's.

Bob and I then returned and met up with "Khoi" (Coy), a prospective new member who had some interesting electric models ready to go, sitting on the field. Khoi had paid us a visit at Shannon several weeks ago. Bob took some pictures of his "Challenger" plane with it's massive 80" wing and a big 11/8 pusher prop bolted to a G46 Hobbyking motor, which sounds like a big gasser. I advised him not to fly it before 9am in the morning..! (LOL) So a few hours later we packed up so I could make the hobby shop before five for props, as it was a hard day on props!

Khoi lives near the field and wants to do some mowing , so Bob and I told him to fill his boots..!
Also Bob will get some white paint for the trailer interior to spruce it up....so things came together real well today.

Thanks everyone...great job on such short notice..!

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:31 pm

Great vids Brian, I never get tired of watching your vids..!

That was Steve W. flying throughout that 8 minute vid..!

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:04 pm

Wow..just got the news an hour ago that Canada Lands have RENEWED our lease for another THREE MONTHS..!

So we have until Dec 31st to use Shannon Park..!

They sent us notice late Friday afternoon, but it did not get read until late today.

cheers,
Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708