Digging at Shannon Field

News related to Halifax Electric Flyers Association only.
Tom B T-28

Digging at Shannon Field

Unread post by Tom B T-28 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:50 am

Last Saturday when we arrived at the field we saw a stake driven in the ground on the runway. (close to the far left side of the pilot line and approximately 10ft out onto the field) . I was down to the field today and see where they must have dug a test pit in the ground with some huge machinery! We are lucky in that they did not disturb the runway area, but most of the disturbance has been on the extreme left of the pilot line. Should not affect us in the short run other than on damp mornings there will be more mud in that area; however easy enough to walk around and avoid! :o
Tom

trevor

Re: Digging at Shannon Field

Unread post by trevor » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:51 pm

Digging has started asof todat
what do you mean low rates and expo???

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:19 am

Apparently the digging seen this week is more "soil testing" on behalf of the owner, Canada Lands.

We are awaiting an update from CLC in Toronto in regard to our use of the field AFTER September 30th. Our lease expiries on that date, so we have asked for an extension, and the local rep has taken our request to a higher level, and we should have an answer by month end.

(post # 22,000)
Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:51 pm

This could indeed be the last weekend for HEFA members to use the Shannon field under the umbrella of MAAC liability Insurance. We will attempt in the next few days to get a definite answer from Canada Lands to our request for an extension of our lease. If the answer is "No", we will cease flying on Friday, September 30th, 2016. (the field at Porter's Lake, will still be useable)

Today there was one hole drilling piece of equipment on a section of the field but it was not near our flight line, so we carried on as usual. We had about nine flyers out between 7am and 12:30pm. Wind were brisk, but steady, but that's how you learn to handle them. It's nice to fly high, cut the throttle, and use the wind to extend your time in the air.

Hopefully, more of the same on Sunday..! (In the meantime, Canada plays Russia tonight, interesting seeing Crosby and Marchand on the same line..!)

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Mchurcher45

Unread post by Mchurcher45 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:35 pm

OK, for those of us who are new and don't know where the Porter's Lake field is, could someone provide directions in case we need to get there next weekend.

Mike
Mike Churcher MAAC # 91299

Apprentice S 15 e
CG Eagle 2 (electric)

Mchurcher45@gmail.com

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:03 pm

My 10 year old qson will ill this morning and therefore I missed out on events this morning. I was able to get out this afternoon for roughly and hour or so. The drill was on the field roughly between "the tree" and the ball diamond. They finished up around 5pm. Winds were variable but all in all not too bad. I was able to re-maiden my P51D and maidened the Sukhoi. Awesome plane thus far!!! Nice to have some flights with Jeff too.

Mike - gotta run with my other son now but will provide you with directions ASAP. Exit 19 on the 107. Right. Turn left on Harmony Rd. Here are directions:

134 Propeller Ln, Porters Lake, NS B3E 1K6
https://goo.gl/maps/CKThQbFRiCH2

I hope that this helps!

Brian

trevor

Unread post by trevor » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:29 pm

I'll be down doing the monthly check on the clubhouse if anyone is going down. May take the eflight duces wild
what do you mean low rates and expo???