SRCF/HEFA Combined Fun Fly Update

News related to Halifax Electric Flyers Association only.
CF Av8or

SRCF/HEFA Combined Fun Fly Update

Unread post by CF Av8or » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:30 pm

EVENT UPDATE

To keep everyone in the loop, given the weather forecast, here's the latest update regarding our event this weekend.

As it stands at this moment, the event is still a GO. The question is whether it will go on Saturday or be postponed to Sunday. Current weather forecasts are uncertain and conflicting (so what's new in NS weather!), so we are holding off on making the call until tomorrow mid-morningish.

Camping on the field on Fiday night will still be available, even if we postpone to Sunday, but please let us know if you plan to come on Friday night.

Please stand by for further tomorrow morning.

Thanks.

CF Av8or

Re: SRCF/HEFA Combined Fun Fly Update

Unread post by CF Av8or » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:40 am

The SRCF/HEFA Fun Fly is a GO for Saturday 8 August 2015

The call has been made - we are a go for tomorrow, understanding that there is a likelyhood that the rain will impact our event to one extent or another.

The forecasters are unsure of the expected track of the multiple lows that are the cause of this weather, so we could be a wash, or it might miss us. We'll take the chance and see what happens. Sunday will be a back-up if it turns out to be a total wash tomorrow (though Sunday's forecast doesn't look much brighter, so far).

I wish I had better news, but let's all hope for the best for tomorrow!

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:53 pm

Ok, fellow HEFA members..let's answer the call and come out to support this "joint effort Fun Fly". The various committees from the two Clubs have logged many hours to put together what should be an interesting day of RC aircraft activities.

If we are blessed with a shower or two in the afternoon, there will be large tents to seek refuge under, so that is a bonus.

..see you there,

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:35 pm

The weather is actually looking very good for tomorrow morning: very light winds and no precipitation! Also, the forecast for the afternoon now looks much better than it did earlier. They are calling for only 2 mm of rain, and the aviation forecast shows it beginning after 3 pm!!

So, great news for our big combined event. Let's think positive and make the most of the day. I hope to see all of you out there!

Cheers,
Vic

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:55 pm

That's encouraging news Vic ...let's bust the record for attendance at a local RC Fun Fly...!

Some of the things that are planned ...

TWO active flight lines running at the same time....for plenty of sport flying.

Three contests planned throughout the day.

Lots to eat and drink.

Door Prizes.

Demonstration flights at noon.

All this for a $5.00 registration fee.

Camaraderie is absolutely FREE...!

A once a year local event that will pull RC aircraft addicts from all corners of the province ...you know you don't want to miss it..!

Enter via MacDonald Beach Road, off of Caldwell Road, Dartmouth. This puts you on the backside of the 10,000 foot decommissioned runway.

HEFA has 52 members, I'll be counting heads, looking for 35..!

cheers,
Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Curtis

Unread post by Curtis » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:59 pm

What time is every one heading to Shearwater?

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:11 pm

Registration starts at 9am Curtis, so we are asking "staff" to come for 8;30am in case any briefings are required.

..see you there,

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Ghost Flyer

Unread post by Ghost Flyer » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:24 am

For those that aren't aware, Vic was on the radio today (Friday, Aug 7) , at approx 4:50 PM, on 95.7 FM, on the Sheldon McLeod Show. Sheldon interviewed Vic about this weekend's joint RC club fun fly event (& RC Airshow for spectators). During the 6 minute interview, Vic spoke about the event, both clubs, a bit about the hobby and how training works with a buddy box. A tip of the hat to you Vic, for the fantastic job you did on the radio.

I might be at the event with most of my family. I'm looking to keep my Limbo Champion title, this year! :geek:

Andrew
Andrew C.

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:08 am

Thanks Bill for highlighting the great stuff that will be going on today, and thanks Andrew for your comments.

The gates open this morning at 0800 and registration starts immediately after that. I would ask that the memebers of the organizing teams arrive at 0800 to assist with parking, registration and final set-up.

The forecast now indicates that the morning will be the best part of the day, so come early and enjoy the lighter winds and better weather.

Here's hoping the light rain holds off as long as possible!!

Cheers,
Vic

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:56 pm

Good turn out but an amazing effort was evident.... from the meal preparations to the long list of prizes. Special thanks for the prizes from Maritime Hobbies, Jessie's Pizza, Starbucks, Extreme / Matheson Windows - and many more.

Nothing ever just falls together and it is the result of the preparation work that shines through in these events. I especially liked the commentary by Vic and Bill during the demonstration flights.... just adds to educating the observers.

Great to see that Chris won the grand prize! Not sure if it will be flown for a while but certainly Chris is becoming an increasing master of the Apprentice!

I am attaching a few quick pics that I took....

Thanks again for all of the hard work!

Brian
Attachments
Can you say "SPEED"?
Can you say "SPEED"?
IMG_3341.jpg
IMG_3339.jpg
Getting Ready in the Pits!
Getting Ready in the Pits!
Grand Prize Award Winner Chris with Vic and Bill!
Grand Prize Award Winner Chris with Vic and Bill!