Possible new HEFA Club Trainer

News related to Halifax Electric Flyers Association only.
retiredVTT

Possible new HEFA Club Trainer

Unread post by retiredVTT » Tue May 19, 2015 11:21 pm

Last Monday, (Victoria Day), around noon, a fellow shows up at the field and asks, "do you want a plane?" We all said "sure", and proceeded to his car.

He removes from the trunk of the car what appears to be a Kadet and tells us that it has never been flown. Upon examination, we find that it has all the gear in it. A 40 size Enya engine, 4 oz fuel tank, three Canyon or Atlas servos and a receiver wrapped in foam. It also has roughly 30 years of dust on a blue and white Monocote covering..!

Examining the inside of the fuselage reveals that it has been "scratch built" perhaps from a Sig Kadet plan. There are no ailerons, so it is a three channel model, with tricycle landing gear. LATER EDIT: I was wrong on this...it now appears to be a Sig Kadet JUNIOR, which explains it not having ailerons.

Our plan is to clean it up, remove the gear, and electrify it with modern brushless gear along with a 2.4 GHZ radio system. It just might make a decent Club Trainer.

I turned it over to Louis B. to perform the initial tasks, while I hunt up a suitable motor and radio gear.

Our hope is to have it in the air on Canada Day, July 1st, 2015

I have a phone # of John, the donor, and will call him for the second flight. (hopefully the maiden flight will be on the evening of June 30th)

I'll update this thread as work progresses.

Bill
Last edited by retiredVTT on Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Re: Possible new HEFA Club Trainer

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun May 31, 2015 11:17 pm

Today I got the Kadet back from Louie, considerably lighter, as he had removed ALL the old engine and radio gear.

I'll continue this topic over in the WORKSHOP Forum, at this link: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3970

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708