Lawrencetown Slope Fest 2014 - 30 August

News related to Halifax Electric Flyers Association only.
CF Av8or

Lawrencetown Slope Fest 2014 - 30 August

Unread post by CF Av8or » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:50 pm

Back by popular demand is the 2nd Annual Lawrencetown Slope Fest!!

Never tried R/C slope soaring before? Well, you don't know what you're missing - so why not come and try it out? Never be grounded from flying due to strong winds ever again - the wind truly is "your friend" in this great facet of R/C.

I'll be offering free intro lessons on my 2-meter foamy slope-trainer for anyone interested. A bonfire-social will take place on Saturday night with overnight camping available at my nearby ocean-view property just a few minutes from the slope. Details in the attached poster:
Slope Fest 2014 reduced.jpg

JohnOSullivan

Re: Lawrencetown Slope Fest 2014 - 30 August

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:48 am

Good timing. I'm heading to Ireland on Sept 2.
We should contact the out of town clubs too.
Hope we get suitable wind direction.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

AndrewS

Unread post by AndrewS » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:02 pm

I told Walter in Tatamagouche about it as well. He may make it this year.

Andrew
Andrew Smith,
HEFA 3
MAAC 76250

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:28 pm

That's great guys!

John, I am sending the poster out to many of the out of town clubs so that they are aware of the event and the word gets around.

Cheers,
Vic

Ghost Flyer

Unread post by Ghost Flyer » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:07 pm

Whoohooo!!! I just managed to get that day off of work, and so I'm excited to report that I'll be there!!! For anyone who hasn't tried it, you really aught to come out and give it a go. We had over 30 pilots there, last year. Many said that this was their most exciting time of flying, EVER! I heard from a little bird that a huge 108" wing span, 7lbs, ¼ scale, Me 109 (from Saint John) will make an appearance over the the slope. There might also be a couple of Parkzone Corsairs, (no props), to help balance the Axis and Allied sides.

AC
Andrew C.

Ghost Flyer

Unread post by Ghost Flyer » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:34 pm

Totally awesome poster :!:
Andrew C.

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:44 pm

The winds for Sat Aug 30th look to be custom ordered...way to go Vic...!

9am 3km, 12 noon 8km, 3pm 13km, 6pm 16km...direction southeast..!

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:16 pm

The big event is just days away, so I wanted to fill in some details so everyone is aware!

Hurricane Cristobal is going to sweep by us in the next two days leaving ideal conditions for the Slope Fest for Saturday (and Sunday too)! The forecast for Saturday is sunny with light winds in the morning, switching to perfect southwesterlies in the afternoon. The wind strength will be gradually increasing through the afternoon, which will make for good light-sloper and training conditions earlier and great winds for faster, aerobatic types later in the afternoon.

The conditions look to be even better on Sunday with 15 to 20 knot SW winds all day, so if you haven’t gotten your fix on Saturday, come join many of us who will be flying again on Sunday.

Late breaking news – Maritime Hobbies has sponsored the event by providing a beautiful ARTF scale ASK-21 glider for our event door-prize give-away!! A second door-prize will also be drawn - a hand-held anemometer – a must-have for the prospective slope soaring pilot! We will do the draw for the door prizes at approximately 3 pm on Saturday and you have to be present to win.

Lunch will be available on Saturday in the form of hot dogs and corn on the cob. Pop and water will also be available. All of this is will be provided in return for a donation.

As mentioned in the poster, a BBQ and bonfire social will be held at my West Lawrencetown property (just 7 minutes from the hill) on Saturday evening and all are invited to attend. Burgers will be provided. If you would prefer something else, please feel free to bring it along. You are also welcome to pitch a tent and camp overnight, so that you can enjoy your favourite drink at the social and stick around for more flying on Sunday. Oh, and bring a light-equipped park-flyer, if you have one, for some after dark fun - I have lots of flying space at my place.

Parking: Parking is unfortunately extremely limited at the top of the hill, so I would ask everyone to park either at the main Lawrencetown Beach parking lot, or the smaller lot at Stoney Beach (which is the beach immediately before you get to the Lawrencetown Headland (approaching from Dartmouth). There is parking at MacDonald House, but this is for customers only. So unless you are going to buy a surfboard or shop in the Heron’s Nest gift shop, you will not be permitted to park there. If you have a lot of gear, my suggestion is to stop at the tiny parking lot at the top of the hill, unload your vehicle, then drive to one of the other nearby lots to park.

As stated in the poster for the event, I will be providing buddy-box flights on my slope trainer for anyone who needs an intro to slope soaring. Also, if you don’t happen to have a dedicated sloper to bring, no need to worry. Almost any plane will fly on the slope! Be it a warbird model or any sort of sport plane, just pull the prop off and let’er rip! You’ll be amazed how well it will fly as a glider in slope lift.

If you need more info you can call me on my cel (440-3981).

Hope to see you at the slope!

Vic

rhyneheimer

Unread post by rhyneheimer » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:28 pm

btw, i'll be giving away bars of lead flashing as door prizes while quantities last :) for anyone who has a light plane that needs ballasting, just add it to to your CG for better penetration - interestingly, adding weight affects the descent rate, air speed, as well as carry-through (momentum) for giant loops, but doesn't affect the glide ratio - the winds are looking good all wknd, see you there
Steve Ryan -
HEFA/MAAC pilot, slope soaring fanatic, electric enthusiast -
I am not a drone

Ghost Flyer

Unread post by Ghost Flyer » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:32 pm

T-minus 20.5 hours and counting, to one of the funnest events in town.
Andrew C.