Sad day for Model Flyers

Model Aeronautics Association of Canada
JohnOSullivan

Re: Sad day for Model Flyers

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:21 pm

Mark Sharp's Post to RCCanada today sums up the whole situation precisely:
...............................................................................................
"Unread Today, 12:57 PM #55
Sharpy01
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Marc S

Old Feedback View

Total Props: 157
Condition 3 of our now dead exemption specifically stated:

Prior to sanctioning a field in Class C, D, E, F, or any other type of restricted airspace, MAAC shall obtain an authorization through a written agreement from the appropriate controlling agency or user agency for the area. The agreement shall include operational boundaries, maximum altitudes, and communication protocols to facilitate the safe operation of RPAS at the field;

Subsection a) under “Validity”:

This exemption us in effect from June 1, 2019 until the earliest of the following:

a) the date on which any condition set out in this exemption is breached.

We did it to ourselves.

Page 22 of MAAC policy under Zone Directors duties:

Recommend to the association for processing and approval, initial and
renewal of all flying site sanctions or event requests involving any flying activities received from the Club Affiliate Members, as stipulated in MAAC policy and process.

Those directors who breached condition 3 are responsible and should be removed from ANY leadership position as the absolute minimum to start repairing MAAC’s reputation. If i had my way, they’d been punted completely out of MAAC.

Can’t get much bloody clearer than that."
..................................................................................
In other words find the offending directors - give them their walking papers, apologise to TC and beg forgiveness and
try and make the exemption work.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:59 pm

Keeping this thread on "top" so it can be found..!
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

saboo

Unread post by saboo » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:17 am

A person who works at TC.

Calvin Reich

carrac@tc.gc.ca

Was involved in creating the regulations.

May or may not still work there.

That is/was his work email at TC.

Maybe he should get several hundred emails.
Nothing like the smell of electrons in the morning ;-)

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:52 pm

You've probably seen this guy by now, but he has some great videos and his group is working with TC to make the knowledge requirements and test more relevant to RC. He has some great learning videos to watch before you take the exam too.

This was his pitch for test changes. I was shocked at how many questions were irrelevant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m9eZ0w ... l=DonJoyce

It would be nice if MAAC was as open about what procedures and communications it is having with TC. What are MAAC's intentions? How are they approaching TC to reinstate the old exemption. Are they working on something different? What they doing to ensure the problem doesn't happen again? How are they holding those responsible accountable. MAAC's saying sit back and wait is insufficient. It's leading to speculation and questioning if MAAC is even needed now.

It's funny how fast people forgot what the purpose of MAAC was before the TC rules. So we'll have a few more rules follow if another exemption can't be negotiated and hopefully MAAC will survive.
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

DoverSail

Unread post by DoverSail » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:11 am

the-mailman wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:52 pm
You've probably seen this guy by now, but he has some great videos and his group is working with TC to make the knowledge requirements and test more relevant to RC. He has some great learning videos to watch before you take the exam too.

Sadly it doesn't much matter how relevant the TC questions are, the 400ft limit turns the majority of my fleet into so much expensive kindling.
Not to mention this puts an end to most sailplane competitions for Canadians, as well as (I believe) F3A precision flying, which takes place in a box at a distance of 150m from the pilot, with an inclination of less than 60 degrees, which would bring them well above 400ft.

Lexflyer2022

Unread post by Lexflyer2022 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:41 pm

Hello my Pilot friends,

I watched a very good pod cast 2 days ago which I believe has much to do with model aviation and where we are now standing and not flying.

I hope everyone gets a chance to watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tEDmHLNoX0

Michael aka Crash Gordon

hueydriver

Unread post by hueydriver » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:45 pm

Sorry for my lack of research, but if someone has a PPL or ATPL license of full scale machines achieve the goals of the WILCO programme?

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:06 pm

Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:21 pm

More SAD News ...Shearwater runway is now closed.

Apparently the ongoing calamity between MAAC and Transport Canada would have resulted in a substantial increase in expenses to keep the field active, so for now all outdoor flying has been scrubbed.

Presently the Avon field in Windsor has received it's "SOC", permitting flying to be resumed.
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

DoverSail

Unread post by DoverSail » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:15 am

Awful to hear about Shearwater club. We are all in dire straits now, it seems. Transport Canada has taken a molehill and turned it into a mountain, shame on them. I guess it’s time to get back into golf.