Presentation to Transport Canada

Model Aeronautics Association of Canada
saboo

Unread post by saboo » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:29 pm

In August, Transport Canada hosted what they call an "Engagement Session" in Halifax. It was more of a talking down or lecturing to the public and the Model Aviation community. Several things made it clear that they were not listening to any public comments.

1) They did not record the meeting. In fact they seldom took any notes.
2) They did not have people sign in. Thus they have no idea if the people were press, politicians, or the aviation community.
3) None of the Transport Canada persons were Model Aviators.
4) None of the Transport Canada persons had ever been to a Model Aviation Event or Flying Field.
5) They were not willing to accept written presentations. Even copies of oral presentations were not welcomed.

Attached is a copy of an oral presentation that I made that day. Also there is reference to a 195 page study of the potential hazards to human bodies by model aircraft.

Both documents are attached. Note that my presentation was edited slightly for clarity and grammar corrections before posting here. It also now has a copyright watermark throughout.

Everyone is free to copy and distribute these documents. If you wish to have a copy of my presentation in .docx format, please get in touch.

Regards

Jim H
Attachments
TC-ASSURE_A4_Final_Report_UAS_Ground_Collision_Severity_Evaluation.pdf
Report to FAA re Ground Collision Impact Severity
(7.35 MiB) Downloaded 96 times
Transport-Canada-Presentation-Aug-2017-Rev-Dec-2017.pdf
(69.81 KiB) Downloaded 90 times

retiredVTT

Re: Presentation to Transport Canada

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:54 pm

Wow..!
This is my first reaction to your presentation, Jim, because I can appreciate the amount of time and energy it took for you to put this document together.
I hope that the powers to be will acknowledge your efforts, and consider the many suggestions you have made.
Also, I encourage all modellers, who visit this forum, to read your presentation document.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

the-mailman

Re: Presentation to Transport Canada

Unread post by the-mailman » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:05 pm

Wow, what a great presentation. You can only hope they listen and see reason over fear.
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.