Impromptu Apprentice Workshop at Shannon Park

Model Aeronautics Association of Canada
Dennis

Impromptu Apprentice Workshop at Shannon Park

Unread post by Dennis » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:10 pm

Three Apprenti at Shannon Park today in the fog, wind, and moisture. A lot of work was performed on my plane by everyone in attendance. Thank you so much. What happened after everyone left but me, well ... do I have a story to tell!!
Physicist, musician, field naturalist.
MAAC #92617

bdg

Re: Impromptu Apprentice Workshop at Shannon Park

Unread post by bdg » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:49 pm

I was hoping to make it out today but the winds and pending potential showers kept me away. Looks like I missed some fun. Definitely some keeners there!

Brian

Dennis

Unread post by Dennis » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:15 pm

After everyone left I decided to put my plane in the air knowing that the rudder was only working partially in one direction (had to do with programming). Taking off into a good breeze was easy. The plane climbed, and climbed, and climbed, ... And, was headed for Burnside - not kidding! Every time I turned away from the wind the plane blew further over the MacKay Bridge. When I turned into the wind (one way was easier than the other because of the rudder problem) the plane made its way back a bit but continued to climb regardless of the elevator position (down was preferable of course).

So, I decided not to panic, took a few deep breaths and shut the throttle down! For the next 30 minutes, the Apprentice glided beautifully! I zigzagged into the wind like a sailboat, with elevator down and prop off! I made it over the field and slowly brought it down from really, really high, landing it in a small bush next to me in the parking lot where I was standing! It was amazing! Clearly the added weight of the two nylon compression rods was not a problem haha! Also, no damage whatsoever! So happy I became an experimental physicist and not a theoretical one!!
MAAC #92617

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:07 pm

Dennis,

While this did not result in any issue, this highlights that a STEP BACK is required for flying at our field. Perhaps it is unnecessary to restate, but I feel that this is a good time to re-address these items just the same:

(1) It is critical that all surfaces be in good operating order prior to any take-off. Anything less is just asking for problems.
(2) Being a member of MAAC or of a flying club does not mean that you are approved as a "pilot" for solo flight.
(3) Safety is the #1 priority for our field. Any incidents could end our club.
(4) Be aware of weather conditions and, in particular, how they relate to your plane, knowledge of the plane performance, and your piloting skills.

That all said, I am amazed that the rudder on an Apprentice would make this much difference, even in high winds. Many many many people fly without the rudder and use ailerons / elevator only and can control the plane quite well. Obviously the rudder helps with controls, but is not typically necessary.

I would recommend that you stay grounded until we are able to meet with a re-evaluation of your plane and use of the radio modes, etc.

Brian

Dennis

Unread post by Dennis » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:12 pm

Ok :)
MAAC #92617

Dennis

Unread post by Dennis » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:12 pm

I will do all my experimentation on my 14.5 acre property on the Bay of Fundy this fall and winter. (Lake Echo was a lot smaller than this with private residences much closer so I imagine I should be good). As well, I'll likely have access to 150 acres of farm field near mine and owned by one of my friends. Also reviewing all MAAC and Transport Canada safety and operating documentation. Going to contact the latter to discuss my commercial and scientific applications. As for the DX6, I will study and master it.
MAAC #92617

Tom B T-28

Unread post by Tom B T-28 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:29 pm

Hey Dennis, what an Apprentice adventure you had! And here I thought you were going to say, that after everyone left you today, you sat back in your chair and pulled out your guitar and composed a song about the HEFA Flyers! :lol:
What brave soles you guys were flying in the fog and wind! When I first started out my rule was never to fly if the flag was moving. :D
Hope you get your Apprentice back in shape for next weekend.
Tom

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:20 pm

Well, my first rule was..what happens at Shannon, stays at Shannon..! But over the years I kind of relaxed that rule..!
I never gave it a thought that you would try to fly your plane after we left, Dennis. Glad it worked out and no one was receiving any phone calls.
Hope we all learned something today..!

Look forward to TWO more weekends at Shannon..!

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Dennis

Unread post by Dennis » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:05 am

The MAAC Safety Code that will apply to my application for the Apprentice is MAAC Safety Document MSD 15 – R/C Climb and Glide Categories, in particular, powered sailplanes. My operational mode for this aircraft will be to power to altitude and then glide for as long as possible (hopefully hours), while carrying out various sensor surveillance activities. My Fundy property is an ideal location, satisfying Clauses 6 and 8 of MSD-15.
MAAC #92617

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:48 am

It will be interesting to see how this works out for you, Dennis. My understanding - but I am not a lawyer - is that MAAC is for hobby / personal / non-commercial use only. Any activities where there is money / gains / grants involved would not fall under the MAAC umbrella. These activities fall under the commercial umbrella and that requires - from my understanding - a SFOC as issued by Transport Canada. That program requires special insurance, safety documents, safety action plans, maintenance records, etc.

I would not think than an Apprentice would fall under the scope of a glider - which are designed for infrequent use of the motor to reach elevation and then to turn off. An Apprentice is not designed to glide for hours without power and - quite honestly - a glider could struggle to meet those parameters in all but the most ideal conditions But I am not going to debate that here. Again - I am interested in the final outcome.

Just my thoughts.

Brian