Impromptu Apprentice Workshop at Shannon Park

Model Aeronautics Association of Canada
Dennis

Re: Impromptu Apprentice Workshop at Shannon Park

Unread post by Dennis » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:37 am

Transport Canada says that if you fly a drone or UAV for fun and it weighs less than 35 kg, and you are more than 9 km from an airport, heliport or aerodrome, no special permission is required to fly. That is my current status so I am good to fly on my property or other suitable locations anytime. When I move to commercial applications I will need to apply for a Special Flight Operations Certificate. TC has recently issued many with the rapid increase in drone users.

The Transport Canada guidelines on safely and legally flying a drone (or UAV) are quite restrictive and actually would put Shannon Park in the don't fly category. So I most definitely won't be flying there anymore regardless of the MAAC safety guidelines - in future I'll adhere to Transport Canada's guidelines.

The aviation laws that govern the use of model aircraft and UAV systems operated in Canadian airspace are the:
(a) Aeronautics Act; and
(b) Canadian Aviation Regulations.

Dennis
Last edited by Dennis on Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Physicist, musician, field naturalist.
MAAC #92617

Dennis

Unread post by Dennis » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:34 pm

When HEFA begins looking for a new flying field you will want to keep this in mind. Shannon Park is well within 9 km of three heliports: two at hospitals and one port authority. It is also within the 9 km limits of the helipads on the Coast Guard vessels at BIO, the restricted airspace over the DND Magazine, and Naval vessels working with Sea King helicopters in Bedford Basin. There is also a power line corridor nearby. These are the serious issues.

There are a host of others from close proximity to the bridge, roads and highways, the trains, and the school where families take their pets and children to run and play, even on weekends. Incidentally, Transport Canada does not distinguish between novice or expert flyers. As long as you are having FUN, and that is the word Transport Canada uses, you are good to fly. I am currently reading the relevant federal statutes and regulations on model aircraft and UAVs. Cheers, Dennis
MAAC #92617

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:14 pm

Hi Dennis,
When we, as a Club, applied to MAAC to be "Chartered", and therefore come under their 7.5 million dollar liability insurance plan, we filed the GPS coordinates of the field(s) on which we fly. As well, we were required to file pictures of the flying area with proper spacing for parking and pit areas.
This allowed them to know just where our runways are; and by chartering the Club, telling us that we were within their guidelines. There is also a running dialogue between MAAC and TC, especially since the onset of the drone revolution. HEFA was chartered with MAAC in October of 2008.
It has been an interesting eight years at Shannon, but time to move on..!

cheers,
Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Dennis

Unread post by Dennis » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:32 pm

I hope HEFA finds a great new home to fly. For me, I have a beautiful 3-acre rectangular hay field to land in, any where and any time I want. I can even see it on Google Earth/Maps. This is why I reinforced the front end of my aircraft. It's the country, far away from airports and hazards (Bay of Fundy the only exception). My idea of fun is to experience the freedom of flight, taking to the air for an adventure, discovering things that no one else has. That's where I am going! :)
MAAC #92617

Dennis

Unread post by Dennis » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:09 am

Received my MAAC card in the mail today. Hopefully HEFA will find a new flying area that meets Transport Canada's guidelines. All the best. Dennis
MAAC #92617

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:36 pm

Glad you received you card Dennis, and keep us up to date on your ventures. If your going to "go it alone" on your flying skills, as many of us did in the past, I would offer this small advice that I read long ago.."challenge yourself by planning your flight prior to take off; don't just settle for punching holes in the sky". It's extremely rewarding, when you land the plane to know you completed your plan. Practice, practice, practice..!

That MAAC card allows you to go to any MAAC Chartered Club and ASK...if you can use their field. It's not a guarantee though. Expect any Club to say "sure, after we approve your skills with a basic flight, involving flat figure 8's, takeoff and landing." That's just the Club protecting themselves.

cheers,
Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Dennis

Unread post by Dennis » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:30 pm

Thanks Bill great advice. I will be talking to MAAC insurance people and Transport Canada about flying at my property re rules and guidelines. Will let you know what they say. Dennis
MAAC #92617